Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I need some help, so I bought a 2010 Smart Fortwo like 3 weeks ago, when i bought it the car seems to don’t show any problems, after a week I drive the car I started having some problems on my transmission ONLY ON REVERSE it felt like it was “kicking” I didn’t want it to think the worse at that moment so I kept driving it for two more days until one day I got home and the car didn’t switch to reverse so I took it to a mechanic shop and the tech told me it was the transmission 😖, I end up buying it and they installed and everything... just got the car back yesterday and it was okay until today again when I got home it “KICKED” again and it kinda have a problem finding reverse... I’ve read Smart Fortwo have some software problems, is that true? Anyone with the same problems? Any advice?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Could be clutch, could be the clutch actuator, could be TCU, a wiring fault, broken motor mount, worn CV joint, shift motor, many possibilities. For modern cars (2008 and later) a scanner capable of reading canbus is an essential tool to read codes the system may have thrown. You can have error codes and not have a CEL (Check Engine Light) or other indication of problems. A lot of the autoparts stores will allow you to use a scanner to read codes for free or for a nominal price. It's the first place I start, it might not have any codes, but knowing one way or the other is the best start.

The better you can describe what you're experiencing, the better the help gets. Text is sometimes hard to convey what you experience, could you capture it on video or audio?

Lawyers, doctors, mechanics; find a good one and hold on, mediocre ones everywhere and competency isn't common.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts