Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

Been a while since I posted here. Today my 2011 451 started doing weird things. Started the car and went to reverse out of my driveway and reverse gear won't stay engaged. I have to put it back in the park position and then reverse again.. pops out after the car barely starts to reverse. When on drive car shifts fine but there is a fuel cut around 3500rpm. Anyone ever had this problem happen before?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Why can't we rev in neutral?
Review this thread. That 3500 rpm number as a rev limiter. If this is a neutral gear position rev limiter and your Smart is not staying in reverse.,. Then it may also be engaging neutral enough when in drive to have the rev limiter active when in Drive. The suggestion that if you disable abs/ traction control as a way to disable that rev limiter is interesting to me. I have not had this issue on my 2014 Smart however I do turn off my ABS/ traction control when I want to spin in the snow.. The other point in that post, that this rev limiter is there to save us, is also to be understood and may mean take it to the shop for an "experts opinion". Hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
It sounds like the car is going into "limp home" mode because it senses a problem with the gear selection. Why it won't stay in reverse is another question... See if this gives you any ideas:
Reverse Does Not Engage :)
I enjoyed that thread. I can feel how
Puting the car in neutral removed all tension from the drive train then putting the e brake on holds the car in place then putting gear selector in park let's the car rest with out tension until you restart the car. You know me lol, this may be somehow another "lube" related issue lol. Something should slide into place easier when the brake pedal and the shifter are in a certain position. As I type this in my Smart with my hand on the shifter car in park, as soon as I touch the brake pedal I can feel the shifter vibrate as if to say ok ready. The feeling is a single feel stepping on the brake ( one tap) coming off the brake it's a dual feel (tap tap) almost in unison but a dual feeling. So one tap says it's ok to move the shifter the other says it's ok to enable the reverse lock out button. They seem in perfect synch when I press the brake pedal but just a hair apart when I release the brake pedal. So what if what ever is being actuated at the base of the gear shifter by the brake pressure, sticks from time to time... Hmmm 🤔. Ok question when the car doesn't go into reverse is the shift lever moving freely or is it locked in the park position.? Also could not using park help. Just stop apply E-Brake and put car in neutral then shut off more so like a true manual transmission?.🤔. will key come out in neutral?.. Will door lock in neutral?... Well car start in neutral? Hmmm🤔 it's a manual 5 speed transmission that is only tolerating the park position through software logic. But the physical actuators of that logic wear (or lose lubrication) over time... So softwear always good and gives command. Transmission always good and complies to actuators positioning.... Actuators are mechanical in nature and retard over time due to increased friction due to lubrication degradation. Hmmmm ,🤔. Back to dipping the whole car in oil as part of scheduled maintenance. I swear almost every failure on this car is lube related. From convertible tops to rusted out flex pipes and everything in between. Look at me still awaiting my new spindles to replace my lubrication failed wheel bearings. Lol. I've gotta step up to some type of aircraft lubrication.

** So no... Key will not come out with lever left in neutral ***

·
Registered
63 Posts
Def. try the tranny relearn. Looks like it's a electric tick, also disconnect the battery for 15 min and then tranny relearn. I get this issue only if I am shifting on a ramp or hill, or uneven surface. It's like the gears are in-between and it trips out. Doesn't sound like a mechanical issue.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Def. try the tranny relearn. Looks like it's a electric tick, also disconnect the battery for 15 min and then tranny relearn. I get this issue only if I am shifting on a ramp or hill, or uneven surface. It's like the gears are in-between and it trips out. Doesn't sound like a mechanical issue.
After testing stuff i will give it a try this weekend. I bought a scan tool that is smart / mb specific

By the way i dont have the problem when the car is cold in the morning. Starts acting crazy after 15-20min

1 - 9 of 9 Posts