Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm going to be in the market for a car in late 2010/early 2011 when I move back to the US. I've pretty much decided on a smart, especially since the 2011 model is adding cruise control and after finding the Fiat 500 has inferior legroom. I just want to know if there's any news on when the new model will be available in the US.

· Registered
3,397 Posts
Just a thought? ? ?

You could buy a smart in Australia and import it to USA?
That would open options that are not available here (Factory Turbo, diesel, etc)

It would also have the steering wheel on the "right" side (not meaning correct side), so it would be that much more collectible?

Most parts (body panels, lights, wheels, etc) should be universal from smart.
A good shop can special order anything that is eurospec?

· Registered
62 Posts
I've recently seen a 2011 smart and the interior "freshen-up" is awesome! The in-dash factory NAV is a nice touch!

Also....the factory cruise is going to be super popular! The digital gas/service warning display is much brighter and has a more sophisticated look.

Just wanted to pass along that to you all!

· To the XCAPEPOD!
6,114 Posts
So, when will dealers have 2011 stock to look at? I'm going to be in Delaware mid-Oct and was thinking of swinging by the Virginia Beach dealership to check out the new cabrios, if they're available. :) (If I get to this dealership, I'll be up close to 20 smart centers that I've visited.)

· Registered
62 Posts
So, when will dealers have 2011 stock to look at? I'm going to be in Delaware mid-Oct and was thinking of swinging by the Virginia Beach dealership to check out the new cabrios, if they're available. :) (If I get to this dealership, I'll be up close to 20 smart centers that I've visited.)

I'd guess November-ish....

also...the color matching gas cap, though minimal, adds alot to the overall look!

· Registered
23 Posts
Doh. I just bought my 2010 Passion Coupe today. The dealer told me there were no changes for the 2011 model. When I asked about cruise control, he told me about an aftermarket package they could do, and again failed to mention the upcoming 2011. GRRRRRR!

Love my new little baby, though...

· Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Shifters and cruise control.

Doh. I just bought my 2010 Passion Coupe today. The dealer told me there were no changes for the 2011 model. When I asked about cruise control, he told me about an aftermarket package they could do, and again failed to mention the upcoming 2011. GRRRRRR!

Love my new little baby, though...
You can add cruise, to yours, though can't add paddles to one with cruise. So in one way you can come out ahead.
I definitely like my updated paddle shifters form Matt Boesch.

· Registered
4,677 Posts
Of course, that is the European version. You'll not see that in the USA or Canada.

The explanation I have read is that the extra airbags that the North American version is going to be burdened with will use up too much bandwidth in the car's wiring system to allow both CC and paddles. Hey, great work, product planners!

The European versions get both because they won't have the kneebags or the windowbags. Which makes me wonder if the cabrio (which of course will not have windowbags) could have CC and paddles....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.