Smart Car of America Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2012/2013 smart Nationals survey

21K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  GetSmrt28277 
#1 · (Edited)
You may have seen this survey mentioned on the sticky at the top of the page; if you've seen it what do you think about the options offered? How about the locations? The event in Kansas City went well because there were two enthusiastic smart centers willing to pitch in to make it a success, as well as a strong owners club (MO-KAN Smart Car Club) to provide a pool of volunteers. I'm not sure the same situation exists in St. Louis and Denver. The largest groups of owners are on the east and west coasts - would it make more sense to have an event on each coast the next time around (as the Mini owners do) with a single national event every three years or so?

What are your thoughts? :)

#5 ·
I was at the KC, Merriam Center Smart a couple weeks ago. The sales person ask me if we were putting on another Smart Nationals. I told her, I wasn't volunteering, and I didn't know. The dealer is now down one sales person, for both dealerships. MB sales person covers one of the dealerships. Sales are very weak, don't know if they would sponsor it again. Also will smart usa be a sponsor????? Registration fees sure didn't cover the Nationals cost. Need sponsors!!!!!

#9 ·
Since most owners are concentrated on the coasts, I think it would make more sense to go for events on each coast and alternate if necessary to ensure enough attendees.

Just for reference, the Jeep event has tried multiple locations, but it seemed to be more popular on the east coast, FWIW:

1995-1998: Camp Hale, CO
1999-2001: Charlottesville, VA
2002: Branson, MO
2003: Charlottesville, VA
2004: Bi-Coastal at Charlottesville, VA and Santa Barbara, CA
2005: Wilkes-Barre, PA
2006: Elkhart Lake, WI
2007: Charlottesville, VA

#15 ·
The Nationals interest surveys have been upgraded to show the responses when the survey is complete. The surveys are open until 4/15.

(multiple surveys are out there; only complete one survey; responses are attached to IP addresses & can be deleted to keep from stacking the responses).

#17 ·
Another owner-enthusiast and I discussed something similar to this over the weekend with having an east and west coast rally at the same time in 2 locations then every third or 4th year do one central gathering. Our last central gathering was Nationals June 2010.

We have had several regional events now since Nationals; not a lot of turnout at most of them. The Dam event was a great success; Boris had a wonderful turnout at his shop recently. Orlando was fun but the turnout was not that great. Dells is in June and the turnout is yet to be seen, same with the Poconos. This is my concern for attempting to put together a Nationals event, even a split-location one.

I received the information on the surveys today:

The survey counts for completing the surveys are still low, which by now indicates not a lot of interest and/or just not interested in sharing their thoughts on another National event.

As of today:
SCOA has 19/100 surveys completed
Insider has 64/100 surveys completed
all others: 14/300 surveys completed

Top location: St Louis
Second location: Denver

Top date: June 2012
Second date: July 2012

If the interest is not there, then the support (financial and sponsoring) to do it for 100-200 or so smarts will be difficult to obtain. To pull off another nationals event in less than a year will take a lot of work and will require a dedication and functional team to make it work.

As the MBUSA changeover occurs, we have no idea what this means for the owner gatherings and if there will be support/sponsorship available for any of our events. A local smart dealer near the event is a critical factor here, too. We don't know at this time where they will be in a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.