Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's '12 Fortwo Passion developed a horrible scraping noise recently. We took it to the local Mercedes dealership to have them check it out and they told me it was the ac compressor bearings going out. The cost to fix, $1700. Naturally we decided against being so politely robbed. Why change the compressor when its the bearings that are bad?
However, I can't find a listing or part number for the bearings in Alldata, nor Googling around. The bearings cannot be removed from this compressor? Or do they simply not sell them separately? Has anyone ever changed the bearings on this model Fortwo?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Most compressors require special tools that are needed to disassemble them. I would suggest, if you want to do the labor yourself, that you have your A/C system evacuated, remove the compressor from the vehicle, and then take it to a rebuilder & have the compressor rebuilt. If you don't want to retain your original compressor, see if you can order a rebuilt compressor from an auto parts store. You will then have to have the system evacuated again, check for leaks, and finally add some oil and recharge the system with R-134a. A shop with an a/c charging station would be the easiest way to have this service performed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have clarified that. It's the pulley bearings that are going out. The noise is there whether the ac is on or off. Really don't wanna replace/rebuild (or even remove) the compressor on this car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. That warranty does not apply to this year model, I believe. The dealership surely doesn't think so either.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I recently replaced the alternator on my 2008 and the AC compressor is right next to it. I doubt that you could replace the clutch bearings on the car as it is pretty much buried in there. You could just remove the belt as it is powered by a separate belt than the one that runs everything else. But then you would not have the AC and it could affect your defrosting

Working on AC systems does require some special tools and knowledge of how much you can take off before the refrigerant would need to be evacuated and the system recharged.

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
2012 models (and even some late 2011s) got the 4year/50K warranty when Mercedes-Benz USA took over distribution of the smart. The dealer should: 1) know that, and 2) be able to verify using the VIN - assuming the dealer is a smart center, of course. :)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Compressor clutch bearings are not a serviceable part. You cannot even locate the compressor clutch assembly. That said, they are charging you $1000 for a compressor assembly with clutch that is available for around $350 aftermarket. The kicker to the whole thing is that you MUST drop the engine cradle to get to the compressor. That's where all the labor comes from. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We are not the original owners, so that's probably the issue. The dealership, which services/sells Smarts (dunno if that makes it a Smart center) first thought we were covered, but then called back to drop the bomb on us.
Drop the engine to remove the compressor, eh? Oh my. I'm no mechanic, though I do have a background in HVAC and the tools I need for the refrigerant. However, I certainly can't afford what theyre asking either.
On a related note, I realize this is a forum populated by Smart enthusiasts, but has anyone here had a bad one? This car has been nothing but problem since my wife bought it. Seat belt clasp broke, radiator fan broke, ac was on the fritz during the worst of the summer (replaced the head unit). And now this.

·
Super Moderator
28,979 Posts
As far as I know the warranty is transferable to new owners. The warranty is on the car, not the owner. I'd call the 800 number and get smart USA involved. :)

·
Registered
883 Posts
2012 at this time may be just out of warranty. See if the dealer will work with you on a Good Will basis to help with the cost, especially if the smart still has low miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts