Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
17,372 Posts
The 2 yr/24k warranty is the original MB warranty that was set by MB and not Penske. Penske pushed for a longer warranty, and so did MBSUA. The decision was made in Germany, after years of lobbying by Penske and now MBUSA to get the warranty increased for specifically the US market.
Now you're defending Penske?!?!?!?:rofl2:

Cat's been out of the bag forever, cost cutting... If your story were correct, why do smarts everywhere else have a better warranty?

It's the distributor, not smart! :rofl2:

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
Just found out, in case no one posted, Mercedes has now extended the Warranty on 2012 Smart Cars to 4 Years or 50,000 miles.
Yes, it is true. No need for debates and Internet gossip, non-gossip. It's true.
How about the rest of the story? Will smart USA have a CPO program for used smarts, with the standard M-B USA CPO warranty (which can also be extended)? :)

643 Posts
Now you're defending Penske?!?!?!?:rofl2:

Cat's been out of the bag forever, cost cutting... If your story were correct, why do smarts everywhere else have a better warranty?

It's the distributor, not smart! :rofl2:
OK, you just have all the information about smart and Mercedes-Benz don't you? :rolleyes: The facts are you have no clue about the ongoing meetings about warranty and pricing, and sales goals, and what MB USA had to do to get that warranty up. I'm not authorized to discuss the reasons, so I won't. But your information is not correct. I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Also got email from smart Indy saying that they will honor the new 4 year warranty on in stock 2011 models remaining. They must not have many 2011's left.:D:D:D

643 Posts
Well that is different than we were always told as owners.

We were always told that the warranty was kept low to keep the cost of the vehicle down. A longer warranty would raise the cost of the vehicle and that is why smartusa (penske) offered an extended warranty to those that wanted to pay more for better piece of mind.

It also justified the cost difference between the US smarts and the higher priced - longer warranty Canadian smarts
That still does remain true. But that's because the smart warranty has always been 2 yr/24k miles in Germany, so if the US shores wanted a longer warranty then we had to pay additional for the difference. What was offered by MBUSA was negotiated with the Germans, and at least this time there isn't an increase to the MSRP for the additional warranty. That's because MBUSA was able to get a better deal on the cars from Germany without having to increase the price of the cars or pay more $$ to acquire them. :wink:

But we do have some units to move!

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
Why not leave it at the M-B USA insiders (including dealers) certainly have access to more internal info than we do - as they should. And discussing internal M-B USA affairs on an open website would probably be frowned upon in Montvale... :)

Time to give it a rest. :wink:

·
17,372 Posts
What isn't frowned upon in these boards? :rofl2:

Anyway...4 years means you can swap out your crazed panoramic roof 4 times! :D

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Canada only got the (more reliable) diesel engine on the 450, not the unreliable petrol engine. Smart would have been digging their own grave offering 4 year warranty on the petrol model.
As much as I whine about some of the things on the smart, I don't think the petrol engine (450 or 451) is the weak part over the warranty period. No doubt the diesel has more longevity, but even the 450 engine was [generally] good for 60 K miles before needing anything major. The more frequent problems are the roof, clutch, and semi-auto shifter mechanisms computer-related stuff (in all forms) etc. There have been a few toasted engines, but seemingly not THAT many. Sure, they would have still be digging the grave:wink:

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm about to turn 100k with very few problems, none which would have been helped by either warrantee. MB could probably do a 3 year 50k warrantee with almost no cost outlay.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Also got email from smart Indy saying that they will honor the new 4 year warranty on in stock 2011 models remaining. They must not have many 2011's left.:D:D:D

6 to be exact. At least as of Saturday. May have sold a couple at the Scottish Highland games.. Fun day talking to people about the car. Most couldn't believe mine has 88K on it.:D

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
The four year warranty is very welcome for the Smart brand, i mean after all, it would be fair as a means to compete with some of the others, for example, the Fiat has a three year warranty for their 500. So really this would be a huge selling point over the 500. Now if there was ever a four four in the horizon, well there is 2013. :D

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
The four year warranty is very welcome for the Smart brand, i mean after all, it would be fair as a means to compete with some of the others, for example, the Fiat has a three year warranty for their 500. So really this would be a huge selling point over the 500. Now if there was ever a four four in the horizon, well there is 2013. :D

• Fiat has a basic 4 year 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.
• 3 year 36,000 mile maintenance free. Except tires
• 4 year unlimited roadside assistance,
• 4 year 50,000 mile power-train.

What huge selling point is there?:confused:

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
The four year warranty is very welcome for the Smart brand, i mean after all, it would be fair as a means to compete with some of the others, for example, the Fiat has a three year warranty for their 500. So really this would be a huge selling point over the 500.
Gotta agree with smark on this one.

The longer 2012 smart warranty will allow it to better compete BUT without seeing the details of the warranty, I doubt it will be a huge selling point over the Fiat 500.

When you do drill down into THE DETAILS, as listed below the Fiat warranty seems far more robust than what we will likely see from smart . . .

Fiat 500 Warranty

4-Years/50,000-Miles
Basic Limited Warranty (as outlined in the Warranty Manual)
$30 First Day Car Rental Allowance or Taxi Reimbursement
Same day mechanical or maintenance service visit (excludes bodywork)
Extended Car Rental Allowance or Taxi Reimbursement
For overnight repairs on covered components, 5-day maximum per occurrence

3-Years/36,000-Miles
Scheduled Maintenance
Oil, Oil Filter Changes and Lubrication Service (as outlined in the Owner's Manual)
Wear Coverage
Includes brakes (rotors, pads, linings & drums), wiper blades and clutch discs or
modular clutch assembly (as equipped)

4-Years/Unlimited Miles
“Sign-And-Go” Towing and Roadside Assistance
Includes towing, flat-tire service, battery jump, out-of-gas fuel delivery, and lockout service
(i.e., keys locked in vehicle or frozen lock).
$1,000 Trip Interruption Coverage
Provides up to $1,000 for lodging, meals, and car rental expenses if:
(1)The vehicle is inoperable due to a component failure covered by the factory warranty
AND
(2) The failure occurs more than 100 miles from home

·
17,372 Posts
• Fiat has a basic 4 year 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.
• 3 year 36,000 mile maintenance free. Except tires
• 4 year unlimited roadside assistance,
• 4 year 50,000 mile power-train.

What huge selling point is there?
:confused:
Owners of a smart would probably use their warranties less. :rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 42 Posts