Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 2012 white fortwo, about 75k miles on it. Last time I took it out it barely made it to the end of the street before giving me the 3 bars of death. Was able to get it turned around and back home but I doubt it'll drive any further. We think it's racked up enough Mercedes repair bills at this point so we'd like to just get rid of it.

Not sure if it's worth anything but figured I would post here in case someone can use it for parts or something. Would like to sell the whole car in one go.

Rules say price is required so I'll say I'd be happy to get around ~$500 for it. We're in the South Jersey area.

·
Super Moderator
17,697 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles! I'd give it a new home if my warehouse wasn't already overflowing with toys.

The car's likely a shift motor or clutch actuator from getting back on the road again. Good luck with the sale! :)

Reactions: beepunk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all. I have a 2012 white fortwo, about 75k miles on it. Last time I took it out it barely made it to the end of the street before giving me the 3 bars of death. Was able to get it turned around and back home but I doubt it'll drive any further. We think it's racked up enough Mercedes repair bills at this point so we'd like to just get rid of it.

Not sure if it's worth anything but figured I would post here in case someone can use it for parts or something. Would like to sell the whole car in one go.

Rules say price is required so I'll say I'd be happy to get around ~$500 for it. We're in the South Jersey area.
Wish you were on the West Coast I would be all over this exciting project. Hope it finds a good home!

·
Registered
36 Posts
You might want to look into either Copart or Insurance Auto Auction - I'm betting you'd net more than $500 and it would eliminate the hassle of having to deal with people. Used car prices are insane right now and your car would likely be desirable because the title is clear, the miles are relatively low and the vehicle's new enough that there are finance companies that will issue a loan against it.

I prefer IAAI over Copart but they're pretty comparable - I'd probably go with the one that has the lowest overall fees.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts

photos of the car?

·
Registered
623 Posts
It it my imagination, or do a lot of these pop up? Someone says they have something to sell, we ask for pictures, then they disappear. Are these scams being conceived, Someone having a change of heart, or something else?

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Personal prerogative. Changed mind. So be it.
While bad manners and etiquette, there is no rule against a non-responce.
I responded to the people who texted me did I changed my mind.
I did it beginning of this year. My brother-in-law passed away the 27th of December, our dog had have $1,800 bladder surgery plus my on going gallbladder problems. After our dog recuperated I wanted to take her for a ride in the smart with the top down. But it wouldn't start dead battery. Luckily it was one month shy of the 3-year warranty so I got a free battery installed it. While backing it out of the garage it was running like crap and check engine light was on with a p302 code.
First thing that came to mind was a burnt valve cylinder 2 and I wasn't going to sink anymore money into the car.
So, I posted it for sale. My wife and nephew convinced me selling would be a mistake.
I asked that the ad be deleted.
It took a few months before I decided I wanted to see what was possibly the problem with the car.
I started with the only thing that was added to the car in the last two years which was the smartMadness coil packs.
I pulled those coil packs off and reinstalled the original equipment coil packs. It has run perfectly ever since.
Unless they ask for your personal email or telephone number or money has changed hands I don't consider it a scam.
It still a Freedom of choice for the seller.
The seller can decide who they sell to Per forum rules
13. Calling dibs means absolutely nothing. Who gets the item is the seller's discretion as long as they are not running an auction-style sale. They can reject low offers or even at-asking-price offers based on a number of parameters including prior experience, local buyers, etc.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Joe,

All good points. Thanks for providing a real-world example and I’m sorry to hear about you and your pup’s issues. I asked the question for my own curiosity. I really appreciate you sharing your experiences to give insight!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Thank you.
Well Evelyn's made a good recovery from her bladder operation.
I'm still recovering from my gallbladder removal and sepsis blood infection caused by my I flamed gallbladder three weeks ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts