Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first time here.
My father and I have been trying to hook up a Bazooka basstube with their FAST adapter, unfortunately I don't have the harness wiring color schemes (pinouts) to know what is what on a 2013 Electric Drive Smart. All the examples I have found on the forums look nothing like the wire colors found in my unit.

I saw online at Smart TekInfo that they have wiring diagrams, but 24-hour access costs $20. I was wondering if anyone knew the color pin-out so I wouldn't have to part with $20.

Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Give Smartmadness a call. They should be able to help you over the phone & supply you with the correct harness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did, Smartmadness's harness does not work with the Bazooka Basstubes (mines a BTA6100) ... they recommended that I use Bazooka's FAST-9999 Universal Harness, unfortunately there is no information (that I could find yet) on the 2013 models pinout colors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jwight, thanks but the 2013 has different wiring than the 2012, my father and I looked to this site as a primary source, opened it up, and immediately scratched our heads.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Actually, the 2013 is a slight mod on the 2012 wiring. They've moved the amp line over and separated it from the power antenna line as I recall. Be careful that you're looking at the right thing. There is also a 2008-2010 wiring diagram which changed for 2011+. That change was pretty minor as well (swapped the location of +12 switched w/ a NC port), but it's enough to stop a head unit from working.

As for the rest, the 2013 cabling is almost identical to the 2011/2012. Just provide a jumper between the two thin black wire to power both the amp and the antenna at the same time. I tied both mine to switched, both on my 2008 and 2013, and it's been working fine.

And to be clear, I have the same (cheap) model head unit on mine, with AM/FM/SW, bluetooth, USB, and slightly out of date NAV software. Cheap from China, $110 shipped. Not the most intuitive thing, and bad for driving in new construction areas, but does the job 98% of the time. Bought a spare because I knew we'd be getting a second car eventually, turns out that was also a smart (2013 ED). :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anyone had any luck with this? I am still missing a pin-out, or do I need to pay $20 to Smart TekInfo and hope it works?

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Apparently you just can't read, or don't want to. I've installed a non-standard unit in my 2013 ED, so I know what I'm talking about. The 2013 is the same as the 2011/2012 wiring except that the signal amp and bass booster are on separate pins now instead of on the same pin. If you really need a wiring diagram, I suggest you hit Evilution and drop your money on them. Lots more info there and well worth dropping a few bucks on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Apparently you just can't read, or don't want to. I've installed a non-standard unit in my 2013 ED, so I know what I'm talking about. The 2013 is the same as the 2011/2012 wiring except that the signal amp and bass booster are on separate pins now instead of on the same pin. If you really need a wiring diagram, I suggest you hit Evilution and drop your money on them. Lots more info there and well worth dropping a few bucks on.
No need for the snark man, look if you have this experience then POST the pin-out. I've looked at the 2011/2012, opened my unit, and their are different colors.

Now please try to be more helpful and less curt.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I've looked at the 2011/2012, opened my unit, and their are different colors.
The connectors are pretty simple. The connector cable from SmartMadness has what the line is used printed directly on the wire itself ("+12V constant", "+12V switched", etc). The connector that comes with your head unit should have the same, or should have a pin-out indicator with it specify function per line. You want to match function to function, not color to color.

Wire color is highly irrelevant. Different manufacturers use different colors. Smart has even changed the colors of the wires going into the connector on the car side a couple times over the years (usually mildly, brown to grey, etc). What matters in where the pins are. The pin-out for 2013 is the same as 2011/2012, that's all that matters.

As for the 2011 pin-out diagram, I don't have it handy. I grabbed it off of Evilution, printed it, and put it in the box with the spare head years ago. I have no clue where that sheet/box is right now.

What I recall was the only real change 2008 to 2011 change was that the "+12V switched" line moved to a previously NC slot (A6?). The only 2013 change appeared to be they separated sub/amp lines to separate pins (A4 to A4/A2?).

Now please try to be more helpful and less curt.
With attitude like that? You're lucky people are being helpful at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts