Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was involved in a traffic accident last Thursday 05/21/2015. Slow speed collision but my driver side airbags deployed. What would have been a few hundred dollar repair turned into a $4400 repair. Not blaming smart the car did its' job but I guess when the air bag is deployed they replace the steering Column and the steering wheel. I am fine just a little airbag rash and I drove the car home.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay. One of the negative aspects of all the technology we have in cars now is that simple incidents become costly repairs. It's no wonder insurance premiums are so ridiculous. And because they're so high some people are more inclined to make a claim in order to get their money's worth, which in turn drives premiums up further. It's a negative feedback loop.

Well, I hope you get it fixed up right as rain and the airbag rash heals okay.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I guess I'm old fashioned but I never liked air bags. Why would they go off in a crash so minor that the car could be driven home?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Air bag deployment or head/body trauma, take your pick.

If you have this misfortune of owning a vehicle with Takada airbags the deployment could be fatal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts