Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I think the OP means the rears took a long time to be delivered.......

I had to pull the rear wheels on my '09 . The flaps are fastened with clips to the body work
with NO drilling at all.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why where the rears so hard to install ? Did you pull the wheels ? Did you have to drill the panels ? Care to tell us how much ?
I'm scared to lift it up. I couldn't figure out where to put my jack, (even with the instructions on here), so I installed without removing the wheels. No, it didn't take too long to install, but all I could use was my hands and the head of a hammer, my arms are sore as I couldn't really hammer some, just press with the hammer head for more strength than bare fingers/hands. I actually prefer just pressing them in with the hammer head than hammering. There are 6 clips each, vs. 4 clips each for the front, and 3 are oriented towards the rear, in a different direction than the other 3. I think the fact that the rear tires/wheels are larger left a little less working room. No drilling involved, just clips. They have little spikes at the end to bite into the plastic, so I'm not sure how you can remove them without either damaging the panel and mudflap, or breaking/bending the clip out of shape. Can't find a replacement clip either, just mud flap. (I wish I could search smarttekinfo but I don't have time to make the subscription worth it right now.)

I think the OP means the rears took a long time to be delivered.......

I had to pull the rear wheels on my '09 . The flaps are fastened with clips to the body work
with NO drilling at all.
Yes, the rear ones took a long time to come in, I am assuming because the rears were probably shipped from Germany. No drilling, just clips, just like yours. Kind of wish there was drilling, as I don't know how to remove my side skirts without doing some damage/breaking these clips. (Trying to install the basic rack...)

The fronts are the same part as prior years, just the rears are 02 78 vs 01 78 for prior years. (My $19 was well worth it for the day of smarttekinfo. I never would have known about the rear ones if I didn't have that for a day and a little. Subscriptions end at the end of the next day, so you can get more than 24 hrs.)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
It is possible to remove the clips . I changed my side skirts and valances last year to match the car. I had the flaps on with the original black valances and skirts at the time. I found that a putty knife in between the flap and the clip would allow it (clip) to be pried backwards and then they came off. It's not easy but it is do-able.

BTW, like your car's color:D

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Now you just need to put the Girls on them...

I think I saw that somewhere else on this forum. I also some somewhere where the girl was reading a book! (That one would be cool IMHO.)

Thanks, but then I'd have to sand off the smartie on the rear ones. They kind of look like the ones on the "Exterior Accessories" here:

Genuine smart car Parts

Sorry for the poor picture. (I had to set my cell phone camera to the lowest setting AND delete all my other uploaded pics to get it uploaded!)

I just noticed someone asked for the price and I didn't say!

Receipt says List $79.80 for the rear, $69.16 for the front. Asked for a discount because I was purchasing some other parts and he gave them for $67.83 rear and $58.79 front.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I'm scared to lift it up. I couldn't figure out where to put my jack, (even with the instructions on here), so I installed without removing the wheels. No, it didn't take too long to install, but all I could use was my hands and the head of a hammer, my arms are sore as I couldn't really hammer some, just press with the hammer head for more strength than bare fingers/hands. I actually prefer just pressing them in with the hammer head than hammering. There are 6 clips each, vs. 4 clips each for the front, and 3 are oriented towards the rear, in a different direction than the other 3......
You should have just gotten a few of these ....

and you would have been done in no time :D

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should have just gotten a few of these ....

and you would have been done in no time :D
AND I could remove and replace them at will too!!!

My father always called me a stickler (sp?) for the rules. I think in this case, he and you are right!!! :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I ordered front and rear mud flaps for my 2013 Brabus. The fronts came in but the rears are still on order.

I ended up not putting the fronts on because the side skirts are slightly wider on the Brabus which produced a small gap. I'm sure they would have worked but it didn't look right.

Does anybody know if the 2013 rear mud flaps will fit the Brabus or not? I was at the dealer today and the while the front of the rear wheel well looks different, the back looks like it might be the same shape. The dealer did not know if they would fit or not however.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I ordered front and rear mud flaps for my 2013 Brabus. The fronts came in but the rears are still on order.

I ended up not putting the fronts on because the side skirts are slightly wider on the Brabus which produced a small gap. I'm sure they would have worked but it didn't look right.

Does anybody know if the 2013 rear mud flaps will fit the Brabus or not? I was at the dealer today and the while the front of the rear wheel well looks different, the back looks like it might be the same shape. The dealer did not know if they would fit or not however.
Oh no. I didn't take into account Brabus models. Anyone with smarttekinfo access, ie. the dealer, can put your VIN in and use the filters to check if they are appropriate for your car. (It doesn't seem foolproof, but it does help a lot. I actually found the part number for the rear when I subscribed. The dealer didn't even know about the difference/availability.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Even so, I have been very satisfied with my dealer. I was not charged for the front mud flaps and will not be charged for the rear mud flaps if they do not fit.

The rear mud flaps are of greater interest to me than the front mud flaps, although it is not as big a deal on the 2013 Brabus as it was on our 2010 cabriolet because of the rear wiper.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to note:

They raised the price for smarttekinfo to $60 for 24 hours!

epc.startekinfo.com used to be free for a year, but is now $75/year. (Much cheaper parts catalog only).

Sokoloff kindly shared the https://nemiga.com/cat_spares/epc//// site, which works well/has pics just like EPC, but doesn't/didn't search by VIN, last time I used it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts