Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just recently bought a smart, and being a young guy who's 6'2 230 pounds driving this little thing I feel like I gotta make it cooooler.

I somehow found a 17x9 3x112 rim online for sale that I was thinking of putting on my 451 - front/rear.
I'm aware I might need to cut the fenders a little bit, and maybe a spacer of some sort but is this size doable or is too much work involved to make it fit?

This is one of the first modifications I'll be doing to the smart, with hopefully down the line having the entire car modified from head to toe.

EDIT: I owned a smart 451 when I was like 19, and I had 17x7.5 on front/rear with no issue/adjustment. I'm just not too sure about the extra 1.5 width.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,913 Posts
17″ x 7.5” was OEM rear on the Brabus but that extra 1.5” could require modding the wheel well?

Do be cognizant of the electronic safety nannies that are looking for certain relationships in wheel revolutions front to rear so tire profiles can matter.

·
Registered
209 Posts
boronsmart wrote: 'I owned a smart 451 when I was like 19, and I had 17x7.5 on front/rear with no issue/adjustment. I'm just not too sure about the extra 1.5 width.'

7.5" wide is about the widest you will find readily available Tires in 23" (OEM) diameter...
Try looking for tires for 9" wide rims and you are in the 25-26" diameter range.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,661 Posts
I have seen 225/35-17 tires on a 9 inch wheel on a smart, but the tire was stretched beyond what I would think is safe. It looks a lot like the cars built by the "stance" crowd. Not my style at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts