Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until just replacing the factory radio+nav (with a Sony XAV AX5000) I haven't needed to find the sub-woofer that's supposed to be installed with 7-channel Surround System. I know it's supposed to be under the driver's seat and see the wire connector in the lower right of the seat with wires going up/under the seat. Should I also be seeing the back side of the small speaker??? Actually, I can't recall ever feeling a rumble under the seat for the past 7-years. The Sony's sub-woofer feed is wired through an adapter to the factory plug which has a sub-woofer wire going into it. The Sony though doesn't seem to be recognizing there's a speaker so I'm tracing all the connections. Any thoughts any one? Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that was one thought, except highly unlikely. If it weren't stolen, were would it be; what would I be looking for that's different than a typical small speaker? It would be sitting below the seat itself, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you’re not feeling anything, the speaker cone may be blown. Low quality Italian made unit.
Thanks for weighing in. Yeh, maybe so presuming it got installed. Even if the cone were blown, wouldn't the head unit still indicate the sub still exists (i.e., equalizer capability isn't grayed out)? Maybe the sub isn't getting power???

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Follow-up report- Thanks to Jwight, I confirmed the sub-woofer was installed and at some point the connector got loose. Prob ably when the seat heaters were looked into a few years ago. Now, everything seems to be working fine with the sound system. Ironically, in doing all the set-up/investigation for the new stereo, I found the limit to my 7-year old OEM battery. Tomorrow's project is to replace that. I'm very familiar with it's location having installed a cut-out switch not long after getting the car. Thanks again for all the helpful comments.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Until just replacing the factory radio+nav (with a Sony XAV AX5000) I haven't needed to find the sub-woofer that's supposed to be installed with 7-channel Surround System. I know it's supposed to be under the driver's seat and see the wire connector in the lower right of the seat with wires going up/under the seat. Should I also be seeing the back side of the small speaker??? Actually, I can't recall ever feeling a rumble under the seat for the past 7-years. The Sony's sub-woofer feed is wired through an adapter to the factory plug which has a sub-woofer wire going into it. The Sony though doesn't seem to be recognizing there's a speaker so I'm tracing all the connections. Any thoughts any one? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The Follow-up report- Thanks to Jwight, I confirmed the sub-woofer was installed and at some point the connector got loose. Prob ably when the seat heaters were looked into a few years ago. Now, everything seems to be working fine with the sound system. Ironically, in doing all the set-up/investigation for the new stereo, I found the limit to my 7-year old OEM battery. Tomorrow's project is to replace that. I'm very familiar with it's location having installed a cut-out switch not long after getting the car. Thanks again for all the helpful comments.
Due to subwoofer malfunctions, more than a few subwoofers were unplugged on purpose,
I have personally helped 3 members over the phone diagnose the unwanted sounds coming from their subs, then locate the subwoofer plug and how to unplug without damage.
If you like the car, upgrading the speakers is the way to go.
The standard subwoofer installed in these cars is garbage.
Like one of our moderators likes to say ' Cheapest parts from cheapest the supplier.' That's how our smarts are roll.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Any chance your selling the navi you took out?
Well, I hadn't until now, but if you are still interested, then probably yes. First I need to make sure you know why the unit was replaced. It ate a CD and in order to get it out, I had to remove the unit to free it. The unit began to cycle off then back on (and maybe stay on) at seemingly random times (a problem noted by others as well). The latest problem was the unit's Bluetooth repeatedly disconnecting then reconnecting with my iPhone. While the Nav system works fine, its functionality has something to be desired. The radio, sound system and other functions worked fine. Still interested?? Just let me know and we'll go from there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Due to subwoofer malfunctions, more than a few subwoofers were unplugged on purpose,
I have personally helped 3 members over the phone diagnose the unwanted sounds coming from their subs, then locate the subwoofer plug and how to unplug without damage.
If you like the car, upgrading the speakers is the way to go.
The standard subwoofer installed in these cars is garbage.
Like one of our moderators likes to say ' Cheapest parts from cheapest the supplier.' That's how our smarts are roll.
Thanks for sharing. I certainly love the car but with the original system (albeit 7 channel) wasn't enough of an audiophile to even notice the subwoofer was probably intermittent or at least weak. The disconnect was probably accidental. Maybe now with a better stereo and audio output, I'll appreciate better sound and follow your suggestion. Have seen a number of threads on good (and bad) replacement subwoofers. You have any brand/model recommendations?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I certainly love the car but with the original system (albeit 7 channel) wasn't enough of an audiophile to even notice the subwoofer was probably intermittent or at least weak. The disconnect was probably accidental. Maybe now with a better stereo and audio output, I'll appreciate better sound and follow your suggestion. Have seen a number of threads on good (and bad) replacement subwoofers. You have any brand/model recommendations?
All I did was unplug my sub due to intermittent noise. I don't use the radio much in my smart. My Chevy Volt has Bose sound system, I was a doubter at first about how good Bose is. They make a Big difference. I enjoy listening to the radio now.
Good Luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well, I hadn't until now, but if you are still interested, then probably yes. First I need to make sure you know why the unit was replaced. It ate a CD and in order to get it out, I had to remove the unit to free it. The unit began to cycle off then back on (and maybe stay on) at seemingly random times (a problem noted by others as well). The latest problem was the unit's Bluetooth repeatedly disconnecting then reconnecting with my iPhone. While the Nav system works fine, its functionality has something to be desired. The radio, sound system and other functions worked fine. Still interested?? Just let me know and we'll go from there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts