Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Is There A Place I Can Find Delivery Date Of My Car? Dealer Was No Help. Do Not Know When Warranty Ends. Thanks

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
A smart Center service service writer should be able to help you. Should be able to get that info. From your VIN #.

·
Registered
883 Posts
You can also call Mercedes and give them the Vin, they should be able to answer your warranty questions. Also if there was a Carfax report available when you purchased the car, that will have the warranty details. You will want the in service date for the start of warranty

·
Registered
836 Posts
sounds like you need a new dealer...
That would be a good suggestion, if the OP lives in Europe or owned a Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, etc..almost anything other than a novelty, nitch car like the smart is here in the U.S.
Not really an option for some owners.
There's not exactly a plethora of choices for people when it comes to Smart dealers.
Some owners have to travel hundreds of miles to their closest dealer, couple that with some MB dealers attitude's about HAVING to work on or even sell smarts. That shrinks the field even more.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
well, lets see... when I got my first smart, we had a dealer that was 53 miles away... then they closed the dealership and got a different dealer that was 70 some miles away. That lasted a few months and the closest dealer was either 370 miles or 400 miles depending if you want to turn left or right...Now there is a dealer 55 miles away...I usually end up doing my own work on my car, or on a few smarts that live close by. Most of he problems I run into, not even the dealers knew how to fix and I ended up fixing them myself.

If a local dealer can't help you out, contact a different dealer. I live in Minnesota and have bought parts from Nevada, Florida, Georgia, and when there wasn't a 'local' dealer, I found info and parts elsewhere. Nobody says you have to use the one down the street if they can't do the job.

·
Registered
836 Posts
well, lets see... when I got my first smart, we had a dealer that was 53 miles away... then they closed the dealership and got a different dealer that was 70 some miles away. That lasted a few months and the closest dealer was either 370 miles or 400 miles depending if you want to turn left or right...Now there is a dealer 55 miles away...I usually end up doing my own work on my car, or on a few smarts that live close by. Most of he problems I run into, not even the dealers knew how to fix and I ended up fixing them myself.

If a local dealer can't help you out, contact a different dealer. I live in Minnesota and have bought parts from Nevada, Florida, Georgia, and when there wasn't a 'local' dealer, I found info and parts elsewhere. Nobody says you have to use the one down the street if they can't do the job.
And you jus proved my point Sport!

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I would find an independent mechanic that works on Mercs or other European brands, long before going to a smart dealer.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I would find an independent mechanic that works on Mercs or other European brands, long before going to a smart dealer.
That would be more helpful rather than flippantly saying, 'sounds like you need a new dealer'.

One of the biggest obstacles to using an independent mechanic is their abililty to link up with Mercedes Benz "Star" computer back in the mother Germany. Because the smart is so computer reliant for almost everything. Here is a good example: Fog lights being installed on a smart sold without them. The wiring harness is there. You can buy factory fogs and a replacement dash panel with the correct buttons, plug and play right..noooo. You have to visit a MB dealer so they can use their computer (for a fee) to tell one of your cars computers that its OK to activate the fog lights you just plugged into a preexisting harness made for fog lights. Not all Mercedes mechanics are competent when it comes to the Smart.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
ou have to visit a MB dealer so they can use their computer (for a fee) to tell one of your cars computers that its OK to activate the fog lights you just plugged into a preexisting harness made for fog lights.
Independents that can access the smart subsystems should be able to turn on the fog lights, M-B need not be involved. I know I can do it with my clone STAR machine.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Independents that can access the smart subsystems should be able to turn on the fog lights, M-B need not be involved. I know I can do it with my clone STAR machine.
Good to know, While not having personal experience, I was just repeating what I read here many times over the years. I first joined in 2011 when I owned my first smart.
Yes they are...The wiring is usually tucked up behind the front lower valance. You'll need a button bank with the "fog light" swicth on it and the SAM has to be programmed by the dealer in order to work
Some have had that done at the dealer, other have done it DIY, and a few have added fogs with a separate switch instead of modifying the button bank.

If you have it all done by the dealer it will be pricey; even DIY will involve a trip to the dealer to get the car's computer to activate the fog lights - not done for free.
Having just installed my fog lamps on All Ball, I'm very familiar with the entire process. The parts themselves are not particularly expensive, except for the button bank. Some people choose to modify their existing button bank, which is not difficult to do (incidentally, I have a spare button bank for anyone who doesn't want to modify their original one). If you want to replace the bank with the proper OEM unit, the price will vary depending upon the options already in you are, but expect it to be around $150 +/- $20.

Once the button bank has been installed (takes literally 1 minute), you simply need to install the lights themselves. These are $57 each from smart, and all the wiring is already in the car. Each lamp attaches with two screws, and then the new plastic shrouds ($16 each) snap on. Installing the lights takes about 15 minutes for the pair.

Finally, you will need to have the computer flashed to activate the lights, and depending upon the relationship you have with your dealer, this can range anywhere from "on the house" to 1/2 hour of labour (in reality, it only takes a few minutes to plug in the computer and perform the flash_.

All told, I spent right around $300 for my entire fog lamp setup, using all OEM equipment. Paying full retail and including the cost of the flash, most people can expect to pay around $350 if you install the lights yourselves.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
Typically, smart enthusiasts south of the border don't have wide access to STAR computers, except thru the dealer. A few of our nothern friends have STAR clones. Some of us have benefitted from their generosity over the years, me included. I suppose that goes back to the the days before the 451 was available and the 450 was what everyone had in Canada. The large Canadian smart enthusiast community, had all sorts of reasons to use the STAR with the 450s.
I know that there are probably some privately owned STAR clones are in the US, but I don't personally know anyone that has one here, hence the dealer visit vs. a trip to Canada.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Typically, smart enthusiasts south of the border don't have wide access to STAR computers, except thru the dealer. A few of our nothern friends have STAR clones. Some of us have benefitted from their generosity over the years, me included. I suppose that goes back to the the days before the 451 was available and the 450 was what everyone had in Canada. The large Canadian smart enthusiast community, had all sorts of reasons to use the STAR with the 450s.
I know that there are probably some privately owned STAR clones are in the US, but I don't personally know anyone that has one here, hence the dealer visit vs. a trip to Canada.
Exactly my point. When Penske shut down their affiliation with smart, it left a lot of us early owners high and dry with no dealers for multiple states. Then when MB only had a few dealers depending on some sort of criteria, again, many were left high and dry. Happily things have gotten better but not all the smart dealers treat smart owners the best, many are treated like the proverbial "red haired step child" while others treat us great! I suggest we use the ones that treat us well!

I have not been able to justify getting a STARR clone for my own use but wish I had one at times..

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
1,186 Posts
Right on, Jim.
I don't think your original statement was flippant at all. It was my exact thought, as a commentary on the poor customer service from the O.P.'s dealer. If it were me, and if I had a choice, I definitely wouldn't use that dealer.
Sort of like that TV commercial where the insurance company won't pay a claim and tells the guy he chose the wrong policy and he replies "No, I chose the wrong insurance company".
Unfortunately, some folks are stuck with a dealer who acts like they're doing a smart owner a favor by providing service.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Unfortunately, some folks are stuck with a dealer who acts like they're doing a smart owner a favor by providing service.
No matter how bad that service is...I'm one of those who are "stuck" with the dealer near us. If I do buy another smart it will be a long ride away from our house in NJ to a quaint town (Knoxville) in Tennessee.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts