Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2013 smart electric drive which decided it doesn’t want to charge anymore. We plugged in our chargepoint charger this morning and about 6 hours later I logged into the chargepoint app to see the charge status and it said “2 miles (of charging) added. Thats it. Not charging anymore and no errors on dash. I have tried charging at an alternate location to no avail.

·
Super Moderator
1,683 Posts
What is the status/age of your 12v battery?

Len

·
Registered
2014 Cabriolet bought in Sept 2016 with 6,470 mi
65 Posts
Try cleaning the connectors with alcohol. If there is something wrong with the charging system in the car, you should get errors on the dash.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
321 Posts
I second what DealMeIn says, buy a can of electronic connector spray, either from a big box store or auto parts store. CRC is a popular brand. Unplug cable from wall, flush out the connector onto towels to collect any debris and stop the sprays fluids from running on the car or ground. Be liberal with it, the contacts could be covered with carbon buildup. flush out the inlet port in the car. the same way. Blow dry with air compressor/leaf blower/reverse end of vacuum cleaner/canned air, anything to dry it out, be sure its dry. Inspect with flashlight, you should see clean dry metal inside both the plug and inlet. Now plug the cable in at the wall. The connector at the car should only be done last, your wall box part of the cable should be green and ready to go, with no red lights flashing. If all is good, plug in to the car, you should hear the main battery switch closing shut with a loud click or clunk under the car. If no sound, leave it plugged in, and open the drivers side door, the dash and overhead light should go on, and the main battery switch should close then, if it hadn't already. See what the dash says.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
What is the dash indicator showing? Is it showing "Ready to charge"? If no indication at all, the car's on-board charger may not be receiving a pilot signal from the charging station. The charging wiring between car's receptacle and the on-board charger is known to have chafing problems.

After following Jeb Baker's instructions (also listen for the relay in the charging station to close) and still no-go, you can run continuity checks with a multimeter between the car receptacle and the on-board charger under the rear "hood". I have an old post about this here:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts