Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how we missed this one? 35-0 mph comes real quick but inside it looks like a pillow fight . . .

·
Registered
29 Posts
too bad internal organs don't hold up so well when coming to a complete instantaneous stop like that. the best safety device for any car is the driver.

·
17,352 Posts
Putty...that's why the seatbelts have tension systems, the Tridion Cell absorbs energy forces, the axles absorb forces, and even the wheels absorb forces.

It's a proven safety concept. Just look at the Accident forum.

John Paul Stapp was a human test dummy that proved that really in order for crash forces to be fatal, you pretty much have to at least double the speed found in that crash test video and come to a literal instantaneous stop. By his research, not even the forces in the infamous 70mph crash test would be fatal...because the car doesn't actually make an instantaneous stop.

John Stapp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
29 Posts
Putty...that's why the seatbelts have tension systems, the Tridion Cell absorbs energy forces, the axles absorb forces, and even the wheels absorb forces.

It's a proven safety concept. Just look at the Accident forum.

John Paul Stapp was a human test dummy that proved that really in order for crash forces to be fatal, you pretty much have to at least double the speed found in that crash test video and come to a literal instantaneous stop. By his research, not even the forces in the infamous 70mph crash test would be fatal...because the car doesn't actually make an instantaneous stop.

John Stapp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
right, he suffered detached retina, broken ribs, fractured wrists. But he survived. I understand why Smart marketing wants to debunk the safety issue and I agree it's an irrational fear.

all accidents are different, you just never know. the best strategy is avoidance. technology can help to a point, if the driver is not safe it's over.

I've had my Smart about three weeks now and can say it's more precarious by the fact it's smaller than the other cars on the road, I've had more people not see me and have learned to anticipate it and drive more defensively than I do in my ICE. somewhat like motorcycles have to deal with.

but yes, very cool the crash test results, it's a testament to good engineering. I would not let that go to my head when I'm driving this vehicle and forget that my mass is less than average.

IMO the best safety feature of this car is that the driver sits slightly higher and has a commanding view of their surrounding.

·
Registered
29 Posts
true story - an acquaintance of mine suffered a stroke from the seat belt because he was wearing it too high, it did it's job, but it cut off the blood at his neck. Result was minor brain damage. He survived, but lost about 20 IQ points.

You really don't ever want to be in an accident.

I've seen more deaths in Texas from auto accidents. I knew another person that ran into a Cow in their Suburban and it went through the windshield and killed them on impact. The cow died, too.

Accidents don't always happen in the same controlled manner as those crash tests.

Always be careful out there. You just never know what some other idiot might do. It's not worth it.

·
17,352 Posts
Indeed. A somewhat popular story nowadays is a crash between a smart and a motorcycle in the UK. The motorcyclist survived and the smart driver died.

For the longest while I thought it was one of those stupid Internet hoaxes...until I started digging...

Somehow, the circumstances of the crash allowed his bike's front end to hop up onto the smart and through the windscreen, impaling the driver.

Only 1-2 news outlets actually reported it, and sadly none of them followed up with the results of the investigation. It wasn't even reported what kind of bike it was.

When the story made it over to the US (via bloggers), somehow the story got condensed down to the bare headline "smart vs motorcycle, smart driver dies" and a photo of a really bad wrecked smart (one that took a utility truck to the side) accompanied it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
actually the rest of the videos are up as well, so we can all follow up on even the side impacts and pole kissing.... to be honest, the smart holds up quite well. no matter the accident, we all will incur some damage to our bodies. i dive the ed convertible, which to me... is gonna be a lot harder since, i dont have the extra 2 airbags... sooo i gotta be twice as careful!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts