Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a video but this is my first time posting and I am not yet allowed to post a link.

My air conditioner is turning on and off every few seconds. This is happening in hot weather when the car has been parked outside. If the car has been parked in a covered garage and we don't hit too many red lights before getting to the interstate the AC stays on and runs fine, the air blows nice and cold. It's a 2013 and we haven't had this problem during the previous 3 summers. Any ideas about what's going on would be greatly appreciated.

youtube dot com/watch?v=YpBc6mS-vBE

Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Sounds to me like it may be low refrigerant level. Need to put some gauges on it and figure out the system charge. Unless you are somewhat familiar with how A/C systems work, this is a job for the professionals...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It could be a refrigerant problem or a control system problem. Either way there may be a fault code set in the hvac control module. Control system problem would include radiator fan not running properly with the a/c system on.

When the refrigerant level is low, once the compressor engages the pressure on the low, or suction side of the system drops below the cut-off point. When the refrigerant system is full the suction line will be ice cold and sweating when the compressor is running. The two refrigerant lines can be seen under the front service flap. The smaller of the two is the liquid line from the condenser to the thermal expansion valve on the evaporator behind the dash, and it will be hot. The larger of the two aluminum lines is the suction line from the evaporator that goes back to the compressor on the engine.

Anybody with a/c system knowledge and a capable scan tool should normally be able to look at live data with the system operating and diagnose it from the driver's seat, assuming the relevant data parameters are available.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts