Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Having a bit of an issue with my 2013 Smart. Today I noticed a tiny drop of oil on the concrete in the parking lot after work. I looked underneath my car and to my surprise it appears that the right hand axle driveshaft seal had a bit of a leak. The car has 55000 miles on it (of course this happens right after the warranty is up :(. I have searched this forum and haven't really seen too many posts about this issue. (Just one with no definitive solution). A few questions for the group:

A). Has anyone had this issue and had it replace by the dealer? What did it cost?

B). Has anyone seen a procedure for replacement anywhere? I'm pretty good with mechanical things and have garage full of tools. Would like a procedure to work from so I don't mess anything up.

C). A little leak doesn't bother me. Is it alright to drive it for a bit like this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
883 Posts
Seems like the car is just out of warranty. You may want to visit the dealer anyway and see if they can accommodate you. The dealer replaced the passenger axle on my 2012 under warranty - may be an ongoing issue they are aware of. I believe the Evilution website has directions on replacing the axle.

Sent from Tapatalk on Android

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Not an uncommon problem. Not a hard repair to replace the seal, just tedious. You must remove the X-brace from the chassis and the axle beam then disconnect the rear shocks so the axle beam will drop far enough for the axle to come out. After the axle is out, pop the old seal out and the new one in. You can make a seal driver of the correct size using a 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe coupling.

If the axle does not want to come out of the trans, put outward pressure on the inner cv joint with a pry bar while tapping lightly on the bottom of the inner cv joint housing. That should jiggle it enough To align the retaining ring on the inner cv joint splines so it will pop out. Drain the trans oil first or you will have a big mess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like the car is just out of warranty. You may want to visit the dealer anyway and see if they can accommodate you. The dealer replaced the passenger axle on my 2012 under warranty - may be an ongoing issue they are aware of. I believe the Evilution website has directions on replacing the axle.

Sent from Tapatalk on Android

Boom! Dealer hooked me up. Mercedes Benz of Des Moines rocks! Full replacement of seal and driveshaft under warranty. Couldn't be happier. If you need something for your Smart and you are in the Des Moines IA area I highly recommend these guys.

Now hopefully that'll be the last repair for a while. I've put 27000 miles on it in less then a year and still love driving the little guy.

Dave

·
Registered
249 Posts
Boom! Dealer hooked me up. Mercedes Benz of Des Moines rocks! Full replacement of seal and driveshaft under warranty. Couldn't be happier. If you need something for your Smart and you are in the Des Moines IA area I highly recommend these guys.

Now hopefully that'll be the last repair for a while. I've put 27000 miles on it in less then a year and still love driving the little guy.

Dave

Good deal, glad it worked out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts