Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For one of my first write-ups, I tooled around the new Mitsubishi Mirage. Usually I'd say a car like this is nasty, but the Mirage gets an exception. Not only is it REALLY cheap, but the car isn't trying to be anything it's not...like many other cheap rides try to do (remember the fake carbon fibre in the Chevy Aveo?)...

The New Mitsubishi Mirage...Cheap, But is it Cheerful?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
mi·rage [mi-rahzh]

an optical phenomenon, especially in the desert or at sea, by which the image of some object appears displaced above, below, or to one side of its true position as a result of spatial variations of the index of refraction of air.
something illusory, without substance or reality.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
With a factory and nearly 400 "rusting" dealers in the United States, Mitsubishi appears committed to their "presence" stateside.

While posting operating losses in North America every year since 2007
Mitsubishi expects to sell 7,000 Mirages annually in the United States.

Don't think that this $12,995, 3 cylinder 74 HP, 5 passenger, built in Thailand behemoth will be seen as the flagship that saves the brand?

Seems familiar - in the auto industry, when you give up on a market the market gives up on you.

Hello smart . . .

·
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, Mitsubishi has been on my watch list for a while for this very reason. They can't keep up with the pace. The vast majority of their vehicles are outdated and not up to par on quality with their competitors. The whole iPad setup in the i-Miev just shows how desperate they are. They're doubling down on the EV, the new Lancer Evolution, and apparently rebadged Renaults to save them.

Did you know you can still buy the Galant and the Eclipse new, even though they've been discontinued long ago?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts