Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
drivers being equal, the Vette would win, plus the top speed is higher AND the range is longer. Not to mention the resale for the Vette will be higher (recent article stated nothing drops like an EV). I'd take the Vette!

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Tesla lost. He had a foul start. Had he not jumped the gun, the vette would have won easy mode.
I missed that the first time and just noticed the bad start for the Vette. You are right -- the Tesla jumped the green as well. So, you can say if the Vette launches bad AND the Tesla jumps the light, then and only then will the Tesla beat the Vette! >:D

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tesla lost. He had a foul start. Had he not jumped the gun, the vette would have won easy mode.
Don't the time slips shown at the end of the video show reaction times (Tesla driver much better than 'Vette driver) and wouldn't they also show a bad start?

I'm sure the 'Vette is ultimately faster in the hands of a better driver, but that a 5+2 seater heavy luxury sedan is even close, is a testament to the Tesla.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
The Tesla didn't red light... There would of been a minus sign in the reaction column on the time slips... The Tesla driver was better with reaction times ... The vette driver just sucked...

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Agree the Vette guy was asleep, but I've watched the video a lot and it sure looks like the Tesla moves before the bottom light comes on. :)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agree the Vette guy was asleep, but I've watched the video a lot and it sure looks like the Tesla moves before the bottom light comes on. :)
I'm not sure how those setups work, but is there some type of photoelectric beam or something that the nose of the car breaks to start the timer? Maybe the Tesla was back a bit so that the car started to move but hadn't crossed the plane yet?

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Yep, that's called cutt'n a light... if he had jumped the starting line a red light would come on right below the green light... On the second run the Tesla driver had almost a perfect reaction .005... A perfect would be .000
When you snooze you lose...:D

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
I'm not sure how those setups work, but is there some type of photoelectric beam or something that the nose of the car breaks to start the timer? Maybe the Tesla was back a bit so that the car started to move but hadn't crossed the plane yet?
Most tracks use infrared beams now... The front wheel makes & breaks the beams... There are 3 rows of beams... Prestage, Stage, and Start Line

·
Registered
182 Posts
The Tesla didn't red light... There would of been a minus sign in the reaction column on the time slips... The Tesla driver was better with reaction times ... The vette driver just sucked...

Watch it again....sorry, but you are dead wrong. Tesla foul started. His tires screech BEFORE the green.

Sensors were not working that day...I mean, the proof is right in front of all of us...the light is yellow when the tesla launches. If he was too far back and did not trip a sensor, he still lost.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Most tracks use infrared beams now... The front wheel makes & breaks the beams... There are 3 rows of beams... Prestage, Stage, and Start Line
I guess theoretically his car could even be in motion if he didn't break the beam prematurely. Still, why is his final light a different color than the Vetts's? It sure seems like he is jumping the gun there. I don't know anything about drag racing though, so maybe that's OK?:shrug:

·
Registered
182 Posts
I guess theoretically his car could even be in motion if he didn't break the beam prematurely. Still, why is his final light a different color than the Vetts's? It sure seems like he is jumping the gun there. I don't know anything about drag racing though, so maybe that's OK?:shrug:

I was always under the assumption that drag racing was a fair deal with the Christmas tree and staging...apparently you can be a few feet back and get a rolling start to win....first I have heard of it though.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Here's the deal... As you pull your car to the line your tire breaks the prestage beam, the top yellow light comes on... as you continue forward a few inches you break the stage beam...second yellow light comes on... Now, you can do 1 of 2 things, you can stay put right there and have a few inches of running start at the actual starting line (3rd beam) by anticipating the last yellow light before the green comes on... There is 5 tenths of a second from the last yellow to when the green light comes on... Or you can do what is called "deepstage" this is when you roll a little closer to the actual starting line and the prestage bulb will go out because the beam has reconnected... When you deepstage you are very close to the start line so you cannot anticipate the green light as much...
The time slips showed no negative number in the reaction column... He did not jump the gun... he just did an excellent job at anticipating the green light...:wink:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts