Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2014 sat for 4 days. Now it doesn't start. Just clicks. It doesn't look like my wife left anything on in the car. I'm not sure why the battery drained.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was it a bad battery?
Well I'm not sure if it's a bad battery or what. I was able to jump the car no problem. I drove it around for a bit and shut if off. I waited 5 mins and the car started without any problems. Now a day and a half later, I go to start it again and it's dead. Can something be draining the battery? What can it be? Is this a sign of a bad battery or a short circuit? I will go jump it again in about an hour... I can see what the date on the battery is.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Yes, something can be draining your battery or it could be a bad battery.
I know it is a pain, but if you remove the battery most auto parts stores in the US if that's where you live, can do a load test.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, something can be draining your battery or it could be a bad battery.
I know it is a pain, but if you remove the battery most auto parts stores in the US if that's where you live, can do a load test.
Ya I'm in the US. Ya I'll probably remove it tomorrow morning and take it to Oreilly's. I hope the battery is common one and not too expensive! :)

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
There are a lot of systems in a smart that use the battery even though it is not running. We have heard about the automatic wipers causing the battery to go dead after a period of time, and seem to be the most common problem. Make sure the wipers are "off" and not in the auto mode.

Not uncommon for a battery to start to fail after 3 years or so, depending on the battery, some are made quite cheaply with smaller plates and maybe less than optimal components.Also batteries don't like to sit idle for long periods of time. 4 days is not a long period of time and shouldn't cause the battery to lose it's charge. I would start with having the battery checked for capacity and go from there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts