Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 ED stopped taking a charge in June, but we didnt bring it in to the dealership until a week ago or so. They tell me it needs a $6000 battery charger control unit - part N83. Apparently there are no used parts for this and paying $6000 is my only option. Does anyone have any information on this? It seems like a design flaw for the battery charger for an electric car to go bad and to have to pay that much to fix it or else junk the car.

·
Super Moderator
1,854 Posts
I just moved your thread to this forum which is where it belongs. Lots of info on battery problems similar to yours. Not a good situation, but do some reading of owners who have experienced the same problem. Good luck. Keep us in the loop and ask questions as they come up.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 21,000 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 20,500 miles

·
Registered
315 Posts
Recently an ED owner responded to this problem by getting a salvage charger unit, installing it himself and reported here that it works.

$6k will go a long way today toward purchase of a Chevy Spark_EV in good condition. Similarly if your battery was the culprit that $12,600 would buy a beautiful condition BMW i3 which is on Craigs now locally. You could then tow your car to an auction site and avoid having to deal with listing & selling it.
--

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just buy a used parts, installed it and it will work. Second hand charger cost about 500$-1500$

after installing you will need to write key and vin number to that unit. It can be done with Mercedes star diagnosis or a program Vediamo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just buy a used parts, installed it and it will work. Second hand charger cost about 500$-1500$

after installing you will need to write key and vin number to that unit. It can be done with Mercedes star diagnosis or a program Vediamo
My batteries have been dead since June. That means they are probably bricked now, doesn't it? I am sure the car didn't get the 2016 update since I bought it from a non Mercedes/Smart dealer in October 2016.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,096 Posts
My batteries have been dead since June. That means they are probably bricked now, doesn't it? I am sure the car didn't get the 2016 update since I bought it from a non Mercedes/Smart dealer in October 2016.
Yes, probably dead BUT what exactly did MB say regarding "part N83" (not a smart part #?) "battery charger control unit" and a $6,000 estimate???

Too many variables, unanswered questions. Does the dash light, what messages? What level was the HV battery when last read? 12V dead?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, probably dead BUT what exactly did MB say regarding "part N83" (not a smart part #?) "battery charger control unit" and a $6,000 estimate???

Too many variables, unanswered questions. Does the dash light, what messages? What level was the HV battery when last read? 12V dead?
They didnt tell me much. I need a "Battery Replacement: Systems Battery", which I am assuming is the separate 12V battery and "Control Unit: N83 control unit. Charger is faulty". The car was completely dead since early June. No response, no lights, no charging. Neither Smart service center was anywhere near where we could get it without renting a truck, car dolly and transporting it ourselves so it sat until I realized I could use a AAA tow. I don't want to buy a new 12V battery and a used charger if the batteries are also toast.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2014 ED stopped taking a charge in June, but we didnt bring it in to the dealership until a week ago or so. They tell me it needs a $6000 battery charger control unit - part N83. Apparently there are no used parts for this and paying $6000 is my only option. Does anyone have any information on this? It seems like a design flaw for the battery charger for an electric car to go bad and to have to pay that much to fix it or else junk the car.
I'm planning to part out a ED with a bad cell in the HV battery pack. Charger should still be good. $600 shipped. Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The high voltage battery replacement used to be around $6000.00US but now is 12,500.00US. THAT is probably what MB Dealer is diagnosing here.
--

·
Registered
315 Posts
In the video GoSmart is charging with a 300+vdc charger, presumably a current-limited charger which is important. Lucky for him there are NO bad cells; we should all be so lucky!

You can just as easily charge each of the 3 modules using 130vdc, again current-limited. I would suggest avoiding sending any charge current through the Current Sensor which is
very expensive and reported to fail for unknown reasons. It is easy enough to bypass the Current Sensor.

Once the battery is up to 300vdc and can hold that charge then it should be accepted without error by the car's System. Nice to see a video on this topic.
--

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,096 Posts
Once again, only “crickets” today...

Appears that the OP (denro55) left the Forum two months ago with no resolution nor final chapter in his “journey.”

With all the sage advice this Forum has to offer, it can be disheartening when we are left with no closure?

·
Registered
66 Posts
At least a real nice youtube video from GoSmart Service for the entry of the problem, showing the close to happy end.

The BMS is not anymore a big deal.What todo if cells are killed seems to me the much bigger challenge, even also there are solutions available.
Also the Electronic Battery Sensor EBS2 used as current sensor seems to be solved. So the expensive repairs should get cheaper:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
The inverter from Continental includes a DC/DC converter from HV to 12V (more 14V for charging the battery).
So as soon the contactors are closed the DC/DC converter load the HV battery. This happen even at SOC 0%, so be aware you can cause to pass the point of no return if you stay on the ignition key.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
AS JMK2020 wrote, The 12V (actually 14v plus) DC-DC converter for the battery and 12V electrical syatem is integral with the inverter/motor controller unit which also converts the high voltage DC into modulated 3-phase AC that powers the motor.

A separate charger unit - mounted on the rear edge of the "engine compartment" - converts the AC from the charging plug to aproproate voltage DC for charging the HV battery.

·
Registered
315 Posts
> Also the Electronic Battery Sensor EBS2 used as current sensor seems to be solved. So the expensive repairs should get cheaper. [Jmk2020]
Again, what did you mean by this? It does sound like good news.

> DC-DC converter for the 12V electrical system is built into the Smart Inverter (paraphrased) [Yinzer]
Thank you. That is the scheme used in the ever popular prius inverters.

Question for anyone: Does the SmartEV3 have a VCU or is that found only in the gassers? TIA.
--

1 - 20 of 22 Posts