Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a car and the battery is completely dead, I put the charger on it and it dont seem to charge.Any help or what am I doing wrong?
Thanks Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car has been sitting and someone had left the key on,dont know much about them but if it is that dead how long will it take to charge or how do i know if it is charging?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Assuming you're using the included charger and its empty then approximately 16-18 hours. Don't forget to press the button on the charger to switch from 8A to 12A charging (four green leds). That will require an otherwise unloaded 15A 120V circuit.

The display on the dashboard will indicate that its charging and how long the EV thinks it will take to complete.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I feel dumb I didnt know there was another battery to charge...Thanks so much.ill give it a try

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
If you're lucky lucky lucky, it's only the 12V battery to wake up the electronics. My fear is that if the key was left in the ON position, your car already blew way beyond the 12V battery and sucked the HV battery dry. How long was the key left in the ON position? If for an extended period of time, it will absolutely deplete the HV battery.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,768 Posts
driver bag and knee bag
That my friend is NOT a "fender bender" but rather a WRECK! Were you the original owner or did you pick it up as insurance salvage?

Deployment may be giving you a "fault" that won't allow ED to take a charge? If you are not EV qualified, you may want to have it taken to a smart Center?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It was a friend of mine that got in a accident and was going to fix it and decided not to..
I'm pretty sure that air bag deployment will disable the car.

Regarding leaving the keyswitch turned on and the vehicle in "P". It would take a very long time to drain the traction power pack - if ever. Very little is being drawn from it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
electric smart car power up

Does anyone know what needs to be replaced or reset after a accident to power up a electric car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Driver air bag deployed and driver knee bag. Replaced both and replaced module and clock spring,light still on got 2 codes but cannot seem to find problem ,code b1003,b1040

1 - 20 of 34 Posts