Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 EV, 30,200 miles on it. Can or should I charge my EV at Electrify America?
I was told I need an adaptor in order to do so. Adaptor #J1772 and it cost $150. I'm not sure I can "fast charge" my battery or not? Does anyone have experience with said problem?

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,030 Posts
You should NOT need an adapter to BUY a LEVEL 2 charge from Electrify America as J1772 is the same as your OEM LEVEL 1 connector.

Fast charging (different plug) is not an option for ED.

“Electrify America stations offer CCS, CHADeMO and J1772™ connectors, so almost every EV model on the road can charge with us. And our chargers automatically give you the fastest charge your car can handle.”

So says Electrify America…

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
You should NOT need an adapter to BUY a LEVEL 2 charge from Electrify America as J1772 is the same as your OEM LEVEL 1 connector.

Fast charging (different plug) is not an option for ED.

“Electrify America stations offer CCS, CHADeMO and J1772™ connectors, so almost every EV model on the road can charge with us. And our chargers automatically give you the fastest charge your car can handle.”

So says Electrify America…
Most of electrify America charging station are CCS high-voltage DC only. Of course there is no adapter possible to convert direct DC charging to onboard AC charging.

EVsmart, someone is trying to swindle you. You can charge at any normal (non-Tesla) Type 1 or 2 AC charging station - the kind that has the plug you are already familiar with. There is also an adapter called a "Tesla Tap" that can used to charge at Tesla AC "destination" charging stations seen in the parking area near participating restaurants, stores or hotels.

Go to the website or or download the cell phone app "Plug Share" - they have a Google Maps based charging location service - including the types of charging stations.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Actually the newly built EA stations don't appear to have J-1772 plugs like the older established stations sadly. So I guess depends where you live.

Someone was complaining about NYC recently. I noticed a new EA station at Rosemead Walmart and when I checked no J-1772. (I don't think it was even on Plug Share yet)....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Actually the newly built EA stations don't appear to have J-1772 plugs like the older established stations sadly. So I guess depends where you live.

Someone was complaining about NYC recently. I noticed a new EA station at Rosemead Walmart and when I checked no J-1772. (I don't think it was even on Plug Share yet)....

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
It makes sense in that all new EV's have fast DC charging capability, so why bother with slow AC charging at a public location used primarily by drivers on intercity or extra-urban trips? AC charging will be something done only at home or a hotel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts