Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there! New user to the forums (and new Smart owner!), I wanted to try and compile some stuff in a post because I found it was difficult to find information for my specific vehicle and ask a question.

However, since I purchased the vehicle used and either there's little information on this vehicle specifically or my google-fu is weak, this information should be taken with a grain of salt unless other people confirm it. Please don't ruin your car because of me 0:)

The attached image is what I've mapped out for my radio's wiring. For anyone else working on this, I've noticed:

• There is a brown/black wire from the vehicle end that is hard to find info for. I found online that it is connected to parking for DVD/Navigation control (so you have to park to interact with the device?)
  • Many diagrams show that there are two black wires and two red/blue wires from the vehicle side of this harness. This only had one.
  • The 12v constant/ignition wire switching maneuver is still needed on this model.
Now, the big question that I would love to pick your brain about:

I've been able to get this radio working great, except for the radio reception itself being actually non-existent. I tested to ensure that this was a powered antenna by using a grounded probe: when inserted into the antenna terminal with the adapter, the radio would pick up flawlessly. I then double checked that it was getting power to the antenna by sticking a probe into where the harness connects into the back of the radio (12v amp -- blue/white wire), and it is being powered. I double checked that the antenna connection itself was making a good connection at the antenna terminal, and as far as I can tell there's no looseness or disconnect in the connection. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Edit

So, turns out it was a loose connection in the wiring harness that connects to the back of the radio. Pushing the probes in to test for power was enough to make the connection while I was testing, so that was an easy fix. Problem solved :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Super Moderator
28,674 Posts
Absolutely! Every smart owner can benefit from a subscription; the best $15 you can spend. Next on the list would be a subscription to alldatadiy.com IMHO.

I have no relationship with or financial interest in either venture. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts