Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
17,371 Posts
Perhaps re-badge it and call it the Smart Roadster? :rolleyes:
No. :eek: :)

Re-badging is practically automotive sin. An MG with a smart badge will not be a smart. It will be another car in smart clothes. What's the point in that?

I would not buy a Nissan Micra forfour (Penske was going to rebadge a Micra as a forfour) as much as I would not buy any re-badged sportscar with a smart logo on it.

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
I don't care what badge is on that yellow MG...that is one hot roadster! It is what I hoped the newest Miata might look like.

·
17,371 Posts
MG is desperately looking for a way back to its roots. So I've read from EU reviews, the current MG lineup is depressing, save for the new MG 6...which is a Chinese car derived from a Rover that's over a decade old...

A good, solid revival of their roadster would be icing on the cake!

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,091 Posts
Besides, a new smart roadster would likely be shared with Nissan/Renault to reduce development costs. But, this doesn't look like a bad starting point...

·
17,371 Posts
Indeed!! Thankfully it's clear that smart has no intentions of badge engineering. Instead they're taking the platform sharing route.

Believe it or not, the forfour wasn't badge engineered, it just used the Colt's 2003 chassis and hardware.

Which honestly, I have no issue with platform sharing. It's obvious smart is really good at some things and not so good at others, it's nice to have a helping hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts