Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Iowa has almost no scenic attractions. The Amana Colonies are maybe the biggest attraction in Iowa. Often confused as Amish, the Amana Colonies are NOT Amish. Arguably the best food in Iowa is found in the Amana Colonies.

Read about the Amana Colonies at Wikipedia, an interesting communal life style.

Amana Colonies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The villages were built and settled by German Pietists, who were persecuted in their homeland by the German state government and the Lutheran Church. Calling themselves the Community of True Inspiration..."

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
While Iowa may not have alot of scenic attractions that get National attention like Colorado's Rocky Mountain National Park or Pikes Peak they do have attractions and things to do. The Amana's have lots to see even if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

To name a few: The Grotto, The Little Brown Church in the Vail, many lakes, Adventure Land in Des Moines, The Amanas, Pella with it's Dutch community and Dutch Windmill (the largest in the US), Iowa Living History Farm, Elk Horn, IA has the only working Dutch Windmill in America, plus I've always counted the Mississippi River and it's Locks and Dams as an attraction. Don'tforget the Iowa State Fair in August. Dyersville has a tractor museum and a toy tractor museum. Jim and I discovered it last summer and had fun visiting them. If you are able to stay off of I-80 and drive the highways between the small towns you'll find lot's to see and places to visit including museums and home town restaurants and cafe's. There are several Amish communities in Iowa with one of them being Kolona, IA. We've been there a few times.

OK, for those wondering souls I am an Iowan born and bred. It must still be in the blood because I'm adjusting to the cold of Nebraska.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

·
17,358 Posts
I'm guessing any ED within a 100 mile radius, EDs that are "toads", and any ED that gets towed. :D

·
DrKillerBee
1,493 Posts
While Iowa may not have alot of scenic attractions that get National attention like Colorado's Rocky Mountain National Park or Pikes Peak they do have attractions and things to do. The Amana's have lots to see even if you don't want to spend a lot of money. Dyersville has a tractor museum and a toy tractor museum. J
Dyersville has the even more famous "Field of Dreams" as well. We had a wonderful time there disappearing into the corn and running out a base hit on the field. They actually let you play on the field.

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,970 Posts
We have a wedding in Denver the weekend after the rally. We'll have to figure out if we can be out of town two weeks in a row. If not .......:crying:

41 - 60 of 204 Posts