Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, after towing with bungee cords on steering wheel, the turn signal stalk would not return after turning (both ways). Also the ESP warning light comes on and stays on. I removed the turn signal switch and reinstalled but no luck. Car drives with no problems but the ESP light comes on when driving. I show no codes. Do I need to replace the turn signal switch? and do I have a bad ABS Reluctor Ring? I checked the fuse and it is good.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update on ESP problem: Car is in the shop because the ABS light, dash brake light and loss of power happened yesterday. Driving was okay until loss of power and speedometer dropped to "0" and then jumped back to correct speed. Restarted several times and the ECU reset and then drive away and everything happened again. I suspect a ground problem?? Waiting on shop for bad news. Chasing an electrical problem is hard. More info later.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update on ESP problem: Car is in the shop because the ABS light, dash brake light and loss of power happened yesterday. Driving was okay until loss of power and speedometer dropped to "0" and then jumped back to correct speed. Restarted several times and the ECU reset and then drive away and everything happened again. I suspect a ground problem?? Waiting on shop for bad news. Chasing an electrical problem is hard. More info later.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
good luck! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Technician retrieved these diagnostic trouble codes:
U0415, P0700, P0318, U0121, P1600, U0001, U0100, P0500, U0122, P0949, C1321, C1433, C1316, C1300, C1340, C1301,C1446, C1324, B1101, B1103, B1111, B1110, C4231, B1740,
B1720, U1102, B1723, and U0101.
Technician found the following: The Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) was out of specified position by 70*. The vehicle will only allow for 10*s to be corrected at a time. Corrected SAS 7 times, to get steering wheel to sit in the proper location. All codes cleared and check engine light has not returned. Code C1433 [(plausibility of values between SAS and Yaw rate sensor (YRS)] likely cause is the ABS Control Module. If ABS code comes back, replace the ABS control module (estimated cost = $2,552.00). The turn signal switch has to be programed to the car when replaced, estimated cost = $432.00. I can replace myself but not program to car.
I have driven 15 miles and no check engine light has appeared.
Total cost for repair = $391.00 at a local shop in Smyrna.

MLogan
2014 Passion
Smyrna, TN

·
Super Moderator
17,613 Posts
Do you tow with the 12V battery connected or disconnected? We've seen some nightmare scenarios of what could happen if the car is left energized while being towed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tow with the battery disconnected by a switch under the dash to the negative cable.
Car drives a little different with the SAS adjusted, easier to steer?

MLogan
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have now driven the Smart about 100+ miles and no check engine light or ABS light on.

MLogan
2014 passion
Smyrna, TN

1 - 7 of 7 Posts