Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Smart fortwo Electric - Yellow & Red
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my car. This just started. It used to be FREEZING in there. I would always have to lower or shut the AC. Lately I noticed that it was not as cold but figured since colder weather is coming (Florida) I will deal with it later. Then, one day I tried putting the heat on and NO HEAT is coming out.

• The air is coming out of the vent full speed no problem
  • When AC is selected it's "coldish"
  • When heat is selected it's cold, not a hint of heat coming out of there.
  • I checked fused #8 and it was fine. I looked at that one because the manual mentioned it was related to heat or AC

Any idea what I should look at? or what could be causing this? Thanks!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Just for kicks check out the Freon level. I bought the kit with the little bottle and pumped up the system on my other 451s. Could hang a side of beef in there!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I love my car. This just started. It used to be FREEZING in there. I would always have to lower or shut the AC. Lately I noticed that it was not as cold but figured since colder weather is coming (Florida) I will deal with it later. Then, one day I tried putting the heat on and NO HEAT is coming out.

• The air is coming out of the vent full speed no problem
  • When AC is selected it's "coldish"
  • When heat is selected it's cold, not a hint of heat coming out of there.
  • I checked fused #8 and it was fine. I looked at that one because the manual mentioned it was related to heat or AC

Any idea what I should look at? or what could be causing this? Thanks!
1) water level in radiator, 2) thermostat staying open 3) heater control cable to valve? On a side note, my Tacoma was not putting out any heat this fall, after doing a little diagnosing I found the cable from the control unit to the heat valve had come off, simple fix. What ever you find out keep us informed... Just noticed it is a Electric Smart, forget about # 1 & 2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just for kicks check out the Freon level. I bought the kit with the little bottle and pumped up the system on my other 451s. Could hang a side of beef in there!
Something like this? Is it easy to do?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1) 3) heater control cable to valve? On a side note, my Tacoma was not putting out any heat this fall, after doing a little diagnosing I found the cable from the control unit to the heat valve had come off, simple fix. What ever you find out keep us informed... Just noticed it is a Electric Smart, forget about # 1 & 2
No idea about cable to valve. Any diagram online that would show me where to look? I am very handy and learn quickly. All I usually need is a diagram or a video so that I can follow. thanks!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Turn your steering wheel to the left. The high side is inside of the right wheel well. Run the hose thru and leave the can on the radiator. When the electric fans quit cycling fast. 15-20sec between cycles you know your close. Meat thermometer in center vent of MAX\AC. Should be 30 degrees below ambient. Cheap easy A\C... ...Yay Smart car!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts