Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there, I’m brand new here. I love my little 2014 Smart EV. I bought it in May and it has worked great until a few days ago.

It’s been pretty hot - 90F and I was away for 10 days. Left the car with a full charge. Came back and after the first drive I charged it and it took the charge no problem. Then after the second day of driving I put it on to charge and the car recognizes that it is plugged in, no red lights on 120v charging cable but the car says "ready to charge" and doesn’t take a charge.

I've tried wiping pins with Qtips very gently in case there was build up, tried plugging it in to another outlet at my sister’s house, checked the battery coolant which is fine and tried unplugging and turning the ignition on and off and then replugging. (read these suggestions on this forum)

Next I’m going to take it to a public J1772 charging station and see if it will charge there to rule out a problem with my cable.

When I plug it in it does make a clicking noise and the battery coolant starts to circulate.

Anyone have any other suggestions before I give money to the Mercedes Benz dealership?

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
393 Posts
So this is a 451 model. Two more questions. Was the car left in the Sun for the 10 days you were gone and how old is the 12 volt battery?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the car was outside and would have been in the sun part of the days. I have no idea how old the battery is. (I didn’t know it was a 451 model! Thanks for letting me know)

·
Super Moderator
1,854 Posts
When (hopefully) you get the car going again, you need to also check whether the computer update that came out in about 2016 has been done with your car. I assume the Canadian version was also part of that update. A former Smart dealer can tell you and in the US there is no charge for this update.

Len

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Sure sounds like a dead starter battery. Try a charger on the 12V or a jump start. Hopefully you only need a new 12V.
Based on Eldienne's description, the car drives and its electronics are operating, so the problem is not the 12V battery. And the "ready to charge" and relay clicking indicates it is getting the EVSE's pilot and plug latch signals.

It may be a bad connection between the socket and the onboard charger or a bad on-board charger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Len, thanks for the tip about the computer update. I’ll check that out.

So riddle me this…

i took the car to Mercedes Benz (in case it ran out of juice and I needed to resort to their expertise). I plugged it in to their J1772 and low and behold it started to charge. I picked it up 5 hours later and it was 100% charged, drove it around to deplete the battery 10% and then plugged it in with the charging cable at home. It’s charging no problem.

Any ideas what went wrong and why it sorted itself out?

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
167 Posts
Based on Eldienne's description, the car drives and its electronics are operating, so the problem is not the 12V battery. And the "ready to charge" and relay clicking indicates it is getting the EVSE's pilot and plug latch signals.

It may be a bad connection between the socket and the onboard charger or a bad on-board charger.
I read that wrong, back to primary school for me. Glad it worked out.

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
393 Posts
Eldienne, just as a FYI, smart recommends that the car be kept plugged in when temps climb above 104 F. If it sat out in the sun at 90, the interior and under the hood temps could of well gone up 15 or more degrees. Also smart recommends changing the 12 volt lead/acid battery every 2 years ! Don't wait for it to fail. Read elsewhere on this forum (search using keyword "bricked" or "bricking") why and for horror stories of others who have essentially destroyed their cars by having the main high voltage battery permanently shut down because the 12 volt battery died. If the battery is the original battery, get a new one asap. You don't have to buy one from the dealership, plenty of recommendations here on the forum of less expensive ones available.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eldienne, just as a FYI, smart recommends that the car be kept plugged in when temps climb above 104 F. If it sat out in the sun at 90, the interior and under the hood temps could of well gone up 15 or more degrees. Also smart recommends changing the 12 volt lead/acid battery every 2 years ! Don't wait for it to fail. Read elsewhere on this forum (search using keyword "bricked" or "bricking") why and for horror stories of others who have essentially destroyed their cars by having the main high voltage battery permanently shut down because the 12 volt battery died. If the battery is the original battery, get a new one asap. You don't have to buy one from the dealership, plenty of recommendations here on the forum of less expensive ones available.
Wow! Thanks a lot! I’ll get on that right away. I’m all for preventative measures.

·
Super Moderator
1,854 Posts
Here's a DIY for replacing your 12v battery.

See comments about using a Mercedes battery vs. an aftermarket one. Certainly your choice, but a Mercedes battery fits perfectly with no need to alter the hold down clamp and if your dealer gives you a discount for being a vet or for just begging for it, it's not that much more than an aftermarket battery.

Jeb - please point me to where it says to replace the battery every two years. To me that is major overkill and a huge waste of money. I have gone seven years with no issues. Depending on how you use your car, etc. that may be a consideration. My cars are always garaged, driven at least weekly and I usually run a test on the battery at least every six months. Now if it makes you sleep better at night to change your battery every two years, then go for it I guess, but let me know where you live and I'll come by and pick up your old battery and use it for about five years. :)

Len

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the link Jen. I called MB this morning to ask them to quote me a battery price. My partner is retired military so maybe I’ll get a discount.

UPDATE Although everything last night said the car was charging, this morning I discovered it had not charged at all. It was still at 90. I’m more than confused. The symptoms keep changing- as in the indicator lights for charging- but the results are the same. The car doesn’t charge with its cable (even though all messages say it is charging- the cable and the car) but does charge except with a J1772.

So I’m still looking for feedback if anyone has any more to add. I’m working on getting the battery changed because the car is 7 years old and I have no idea if the 12v battery was ever changed.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
167 Posts
Did you try a public charging station anywhere near you? Since it charged at the garage, my thought is it could be an issue with your charge adapter. Replacement ones are available on AMZN for around $200.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,096 Posts
So riddle me this…

i took the car to Mercedes Benz (in case it ran out of juice and I needed to resort to their expertise). I plugged it in to their J1772 and low and behold it started to charge. I picked it up 5 hours later and it was 100% charged, drove it around to deplete the battery 10% and then plugged it in with the charging cable at home. It’s charging no problem.
You took it to M-B and they did exactly what, allowed you to charge off their L2 charger?

My SWAG, your 12V remains suspect and may have gotten a “charge” in route such that there was enough power to allow the charging system to enable the L2 to top things off.

Overnight your (7 YO?) 12V may have flatlined again???

·
Super Moderator
1,854 Posts
There is a date code on the battery. If it's a Mercedes battery, the negative terminal will have a code showing the week and the year. Aftermarket batteries vary where their date code is, but there will be one.

Len

·
Registered
2017 453 Passion ED/EQ
393 Posts
Here's a DIY for replacing your 12v battery.

See comments about using a Mercedes battery vs. an aftermarket one. Certainly your choice, but a Mercedes battery fits perfectly with no need to alter the hold down clamp and if your dealer gives you a discount for being a vet or for just begging for it, it's not that much more than an aftermarket battery.

Jeb - please point me to where it says to replace the battery every two years. To me that is major overkill and a huge waste of money. I have gone seven years with no issues. Depending on how you use your car, etc. that may be a consideration. My cars are always garaged, driven at least weekly and I usually run a test on the battery at least every six months. Now if it makes you sleep better at night to change your battery every two years, then go for it I guess, but let me know where you live and I'll come by and pick up your old battery and use it for about five years. :)

Len
Len: I should have said at the latest every three years, ref. p 23, 2018 EQ manual (attached) . That's for the 453 model. For the 451 model, I an ref. p 197 ED 2014 manual (attached)
It does not specify the number of years, but says to see "the scheduled maintenance guide" which I do not have. Perhaps you or others can see what it says.

- Jeb

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Did you try a public charging station anywhere near you? Since it charged at the garage, my thought is it could be an issue with your charge adapter. Replacement ones are available on AMZN for around $200.
I plugged it into the J1772 at the dealership. That worked no problem. I’m going to try another one tonight. 🤞🏼

1 - 20 of 30 Posts