Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I really, really, really like the way this prototype is going.

I only have 3 nitpicking criticisms, none of which will likely impact me in daily driving.

A) Panel Design
It looks like a true 10-panel car. No more "also 4 lower trim pieces", like the ones that used to be textured black on the early 451s. However, this means the Tridion is closest to the road, with no plastic panel over it to protect it from kicked up stuff. I will be investing in more mud-flaps if that's the case.

B) Rear End
I notice the tail lights that are cut off on the inner-edges because of their proximity to the tailgate panel. I hope if they aren't rounded lights, that they don't continue on to the tailgate trunk as little reflector pieces. I will find a way to illuminate them. Saturn made a reflector panel on the trunk. I hate that it isn't lit up - and I've been looking to fix that.

C) Front End
That little upside-down snow shovel hump on the hood is still there, but in photo #3, you can clearly see where it attaches to the actual car. I am now very, very confident that the hood won't look like that on the actual car. I also think that lower black panel on the front is probably a "scratch panel" rather than a lower air diffuser. It's so unbelievably close to the ground that I can't see it staying - especially not in pot-hole-filled New York.

·
17,384 Posts
I really, really, really like the way this prototype is going.

I only have 3 nitpicking criticisms, none of which will likely impact me in daily driving.

A) Panel Design
It looks like a true 10-panel car. No more "also 4 lower trim pieces", like the ones that used to be textured black on the early 451s. However, this means the Tridion is closest to the road, with no plastic panel over it to protect it from kicked up stuff. I will be investing in more mud-flaps if that's the case.

B) Rear End
I notice the tail lights that are cut off on the inner-edges because of their proximity to the tailgate panel. I hope if they aren't rounded lights, that they don't continue on to the tailgate trunk as little reflector pieces. I will find a way to illuminate them. Saturn made a reflector panel on the trunk. I hate that it isn't lit up - and I've been looking to fix that.

C) Front End
That little upside-down snow shovel hump on the hood is still there, but in photo #3, you can clearly see where it attaches to the actual car. I am now very, very confident that the hood won't look like that on the actual car. I also think that lower black panel on the front is probably a "scratch panel" rather than a lower air diffuser. It's so unbelievably close to the ground that I can't see it staying - especially not in pot-hole-filled New York.
Fear not, thankfully it's a prototype!

A) Judging from the fourjoy, they're probably going to put a small black skirt under the Tridion Cell lining the underside of the door.

B) From the looks of it, they're going for a bit of an afterburner look with a rounded square shape (like Apple).

C) Agree, I think it's just there for the sake that the car's camouflaged and they don't want photogs to get a good idea of the front dimensions. As for that splitter thing, it appears to me that it's already broken! :D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yep, then all the comments might actually be applicable to the production car.... :wink:
In all seriousness, the speculation and discussion is half the fun! Otherwise, this would be full of "nice picture", "nice photo", etc.

Kind of like any new, exciting product release. All the rumors and hype are half the fun. It's a chance for all prospective buyers and product fans to talk about something new. :)

However...
Set your expectations low, and nobody gets hurt.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Perhaps the saying 'expect the worse but hope for the best and whatever happens will be a pleasant surprise' would apply?

It is neat to speculate and hope.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts