Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Smart for one week. Really having a good time. Replaced passenger side mirror, replaced passenger side fender, replaced hood cover, replaced upper and lower grille. Just about done needs fuel door cover. Changed front brake pads and rotors, oil and filter change tomorrow. I intend to be at Watkins Glen "18 with it. It's a all Black Passion with 23587 miles. I'll see what I can do with it.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New York City is fully enjoyable for me to drive in again, mainly because when I get back home it's easy to find a parking spot. Im already planning to get another one. I went to the Manhattan Mercedes Benz they say I have until January on the warranty. I saw a rear roof spoiler for the 453 that I believe I will eventually use. I think I'll go with 4 rear 15 x 5.5 steel wheels then hub cap according to my mood.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi twcom, nice to see another new local owner of a 2014! You're right, parking here is definitely quite a joy with the Smart, and it sounds like you're having a lot of fun with your repairs and upgrades. How was the Manhattan location's service? It's a lot closer than the other options, but I was a bit concerned from all of the negative reviews I've seen, so I ended up going to Roslyn instead, which was fantastic.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey. WheeMobile, I find MB Manhattan to be very convenient for me in as far as my desire to get parts quickly. I find them online cheaper but if I don't want to wait and they are in stock I go pick them up locally. The staff is classy and the pulled up my vin finding that my Smart is under warranty until January 2018. Based on your Roslyn review I am going to go there and talk to them before deciding which place to take do the service check. I haven't done it as of yet because I did not want to bring in a car with as much cosmetic damage as mine had when I got it in for service. I am just awaiting a fuel door lid to finish off the body panel replace and repair process. Looks like my rain guards will arrive before the fuel door, so tomorrow I will put the rain guards on. I am sure I will be getting 4 steel 15inch 5.5 rims. Then I can swap hub caps like shoes according to my mood. The current Six spoke alloy wheel set all four have a bend I will repair them only if I intend to keep them. I just can't see running them in the city in with really reworking the car to soften the suspension. With it remaining so harsh I would just bend them again. If you are going to Watkins Glen 18 may we can blast up there together.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got my rain deflectors. Ran out installed them, as the car is all black they don't stand out. You would over look them on the first glance. But as this little one always seems to get a second look over once seen they add a more polished look it. Since I put them on just before dark and work all day tomorrow I won't see the car in the sun for another 36 hours. In my vision a bronze window tint will give this one a richer look. I'm still all smiles .

·
Registered
12 Posts
twcom,

Thanks for the information! I'll definitely consider seeing how the Manhattan one compares, but I was really pleasantly surprised with Roslyn's service, so I'll probably end up using them for the time being, even if it is a bit of a drive. (If they don't have a loaner, they will drop you off at the train station.) Watkins Glenn 18 sounds like a lot of fun! We're planning on doing it, barring some unforeseen circumstance. And your car is looking good, it sounds like you're having a lot of fun with the mods!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I sure am having a blast. I do have a gear oil leak, it's slight but will speed up my trip in for a full check up. I will let them do the 20,000 mile service I think it just went over 24,000 miles. Are your steel rims bent at all?. I would like to have steel wheels on mine by time WG 18 rolls around. Four rear ones painted shinny black with chrome trim rings and chrome center caps I'm waiting on those round bumper protectors, the pointy ones are just too vicious for me to use. But two of the round ones out back should look right. I also need a cargo cover as I refuse to put a dark window tint. Well I been sitting out side looking at it and typing this for the last hour. Time to walk pass it one more time then head up stairs.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sure am having a blast. I do have a gear oil leak, it's slight but will speed up my trip in for a full check up. I will let them do the 20,000 mile service I think it just went over 24,000 miles. Are your steel rims bent at all?. I would like to have steel wheels on mine by time WG 18 rolls around. Four rear ones painted shinny black with chrome trim rings and chrome center caps I'm waiting on those round bumper protectors, the pointy ones are just too vicious for me to use. But two of the round ones out back should look right. I also need a cargo cover as I refuse to put a dark window tint. Well I been sitting out side looking at it and typing this for the last hour. Time to walk pass it one more time then head up stairs.
I ended up having service done at the Manhattan MB service center. I had been using this location for parts and found the customer service high quality. I dropped it off and picked it up later in the day. The service was completed and the car is much smoother. The leak turned out to be an axle seal so the axles were changed under warranty. Great job I have yet to find a true flaw with this car or service in my situation. Very happy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts