Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I exclusively drive in Manual mode and although I shift according to engine sound, it’s nice to know the actual RPMS.
This is one of the easiest upgrades that can be performed to your beloved smart. All it takes is confidence and a little patience to accomplish this great addition to your Smart. I hope this helps others gain confidence through a simple step by step installation. I apologize if it’s a redundant post.

Start by disconnecting the negative lead of the battery to keep things safe.
Remove the small panel located in the middle of the dash with a body panel removal tool so as not to damage the dash material

Grip the speedometer Pod with both hands and pull forward until it’s free from the dash. It helps to place a small pillow between the speedometer pod and the steering wheel to not damage the pod.
Place the pod on top of the dashboard, you don’t need to disconnect it.

Look to the bottom left, you will see the working harness, on he wiring harness you will see what appears to be masking tape. Under this tape is the factory connection for the Tachometer/clock Pod.
Cut the tape and free the connector from the wiring harness so you can easily plug into it.

I took tow tie wraps and made a snake out of them and ran it from the opening center of dashboard where tachometer will mount to down behind he speedometer pod next to the factory connector.
tape the connector onto the snake and pull it down to where the factory connector resides.

Plug the connector from the Tachometer Pod into the factory installed connector you found under the masking tape. Like all connectors on our smarts they only go together one way. Make sure to tie wrap these two connectors back to the wire harness where you found the factory connector taped.

Reconnect the negative lead to the battery and test the installation of the tachometer before you close everything up.

Secure the pod to the dash with supplied screw in tachometer kit. Reinstall speedometer pod and your finished this easy pezzy fun to do installation.

Enjoy your new tachometer and clock.

Enjoy your Sunday Evening everyone.
Paula

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
George you’re too kind as I needed a Mani so bad that right after finishing the gauges and stereo I ran up to the salon for some papering lol.
Thank you, this was an easy install which I thought to myself, why didn’t I install these four years ago when we adopted our little stinky.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I exclusively drive in Manual mode and although I shift according to engine sound, it’s nice to know the actual RPMS.
This is one of the easiest upgrades that can be performed to your beloved smart. All it takes is confidence and a little patience to accomplish this great addition to your Smart. I hope this helps others gain confidence through a simple step by step installation. I apologize if it’s a redundant post.

Start by disconnecting the negative lead of the battery to keep things safe.
Remove the small panel located in the middle of the dash with a body panel removal tool so as not to damage the dash material
View attachment 62575

Grip the speedometer Pod with both hands and pull forward until it’s free from the dash. It helps to place a small pillow between the speedometer pod and the steering wheel to not damage the pod.
Place the pod on top of the dashboard, you don’t need to disconnect it.

View attachment 62576

Look to the bottom left, you will see the working harness, on he wiring harness you will see what appears to be masking tape. Under this tape is the factory connection for the Tachometer/clock Pod.
Cut the tape and free the connector from the wiring harness so you can easily plug into it.

View attachment 62577 View attachment 62578

I took tow tie wraps and made a snake out of them and ran it from the opening center of dashboard where tachometer will mount to down behind he speedometer pod next to the factory connector.
tape the connector onto the snake and pull it down to where the factory connector resides.
View attachment 62579 View attachment 62580

Plug the connector from the Tachometer Pod into the factory installed connector you found under the masking tape. Like all connectors on our smarts they only go together one way. Make sure to tie wrap these two connectors back to the wire harness where you found the factory connector taped.
View attachment 62581

Reconnect the negative lead to the battery and test the installation of the tachometer before you close everything up.
View attachment 62582

Secure the pod to the dash with supplied screw in tachometer kit. Reinstall speedometer pod and your finished this easy pezzy fun to do installation.
View attachment 62583

Enjoy your new tachometer and clock.
View attachment 62585

Enjoy your Sunday Evening everyone.
Paula
Thank you for the detailed write up! I got my kit in yesterday. Planning to install tomorrow.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,067 Posts
There are older threads on this subject too. Be aware that if you buy new pods or get used ones the early 451's 2008 to 2010 uses a different mount for the pods than the 2011 to 2015 model years. You can interchange the early years with the latter years with some modifications. I found this out when I bought an Ebay set of pods from an 09 and I attempted to install them in my 2011. I have pics on this. If I can find them I will post them. DCO

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,067 Posts
Here is the mounting bracket for the early 451's. The 2008 to 2010 had square A/C vents on both sides of the dash and this type of pod mount.

Here is the mounting bracket for the later 451's. The 2011 to 2015 had round A/C vents on both sides of the dash and this type of pod mount.
DCO...….

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here is the mounting bracket for the early 451's. The 2008 to 2010 had square A/C vents on both sides of the dash and this type of pod mount.
View attachment 63506

Here is the mounting bracket for the later 451's. The 2011 to 2015 had round A/C vents on both sides of the dash and this type of pod mount.
View attachment 63507 DCO...….
The brackets look right for the years, but my 2009 gauges say Brabus and my 2015 gauges don’t. Which is interesting, because one of my 2915s is a Babus.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Great writeup on the install. Thanks for the pictures, they always help. I had the tach / clock pods on my first smart.
I liked having a tach, because I also manually shift and it was nice knowing shift points.
Why smart thought duplicating the clock instead of a more useful gage such as water temp, oil temp, oil pressure or voltage was a good idea, I'll never understand.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,493 Posts
The brackets look right for the years, but my 2009 gauges say Brabus and my 2015 gauges don’t. Which is interesting, because one of my 2915s is a Babus.
The US spec Brabus had the same gauges as the Pure/Passion. The EU models had Brabus printed on them. Someone must have changed the gauges on your '09 as many people did, I believe the Brabus imprinted gauges are still available, but it may take a bit of searching.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The US spec Brabus had the same gauges as the Pure/Passion. The EU models had Brabus printed on them. Someone must have changed the gauges on your '09 as many people did, I believe the Brabus imprinted gauges are still available, but it may take a bit of searching.
I installed the gauges on my 09 Passion, yes. As far as I know, they are US spec factory parts, with Brabus on the dials. I also installed the gauges on my 15 Pure. They don’t say Brabus. Neither do the gauges on my 15 Brabus, which were factory installed. Just struck me as odd that it seems ass backwards. There’s an 09 where I work that has factory installed gauges. I’ll have to check to see what it has installed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts