Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Good Morning George and a happy weekend to you and family,
I have never been a quitter, never could lay down, had to always have something going on. I’m currently in remission, so we can live again.

Can’t wait to bring everything together and get them mounted. So far all the venders have been stepping up to the plate with some of the fastest shipping imaginable. Also everything has come packed to survive a zombie apocalypse lol. I’m awaiting Smart Madness for the lug bolts and another retailer for the TPMS. Keeping the faith George!
As for this weekend we’ll get something done like install the rear Valance or maybe the rear speakers for the new head unit. thank you for your interest in this, it drives me, but hopefully helps others decide to become a member of the “All four club”
Paula

·
Registered
715 Posts
As I am about to leave the all four club, Yokohama S Drive 195/40 17 all around. Due to discontinued tires, and a damaged rim I and currently on 2, plus one and one set up of 205/40 17 hankook ventus 2's in the rear, 195/40 17 Yokohama S Drive on front left, Continental 195/50 15 on front right...... lol .... a momentary mess.

My change of strategy will have me with 205/50 15 out front and 205/40 17 in the rear with a probable wider 215/45 17 rear upgrade this summer.

I will keep one 205/40 17 as the full size spare.

Great Moment as this was the final day ending the 2019 One Lap of America tour. It had also ended my 4 all around era as I started the tour on all 195/40 17 Yokohama S drives, but due to wear and vibration issues during to run unable to locate The discontinued tire I installed 205/40 17 Hankook's on the rear and with rebalancing the front remaining tires, had a flawless rest of the run.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
As I am about to leave the all four club
You will always be an honorary member of the club, she is absolutely beautiful regardless of what shoes she wears. I can’t wait to see her one day in person.
I so wanted to go on 17’s but these roads couldn’t support them, so I bit the bullet and opted for the 15‘s with the 205/50’s. Maybe one day when we move to the land of Oz where George lives, then I’ll do a little upgrade and have those 17 mounted.

Just a little FYI, I’m getting closer to completing this project. Smart Madness came through with the Lug bolts for the new wheels (Thank you Smart Madness)
Only one piece of the puzzle left, the TPMS stems....

Paula

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
As Ralph Kramden once said
“and away we go”

Ladies and Gentlemen I’m soon to be a member of the all fours club!
Sounds so Dirty lol
To be continued...
Paula

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wheels said mount from reverse side only? I found out that there is a special tire machine for doing just that. I assume that would be so you don't gouge the polished part. I put mine on old school doing it myself. Did this work out ok for you?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
My wheels said mount from reverse side only? I found out that there is a special tire machine for doing just that. I assume that would be so you don't gouge the polished part. I put mine on old school doing it myself. Did this work out ok for you?
Yes it did, But I have to admit I was shaking like a dog S#$&ing barbed wire when he put the machine to the wheels. Not a single issue with the rims, “thank you baby Jesus”
I can only imagine what the Ole school method is?
If it’s anything like that 50 gallon drum syringe tester you posted I’ll run like hell lol.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Me: Honest to goodness officer, I was doing 85 because, ummmm, because I’m on my way to the Hospital, I’m about to give birth, ok ok ok so I’m too old to be pregnant, well, I was afraid the milk would spoil and wanted to get it home right away, ok ok ok I was in a hurry, My Father is waiting for me in the tool shed lol.

Officer: Excuses Excuses

Me: OK I confess, you got me, I was testing my new tires to see if they were balanced correctly! I’m so sorry Officer, could you please give me a break, I promise never to exceed the speed limit again “woo ha ha ha “ (evil laugh)

Officer: Ma’am that’s no excuse for excessive speed!

Me: But Officer It’s a prerequisite to join the all fours club.

Officer: are you trying to proposition me?

Me: what, I’m not propositioning you, it’s not what you think you dirty boy!

Me: oh now look at what happened, you dropped a $100 dollar bill, now pick it up and put it in your pocket.

Officer: are you trying to bribe me?

Officer: Ma’am get out of the Smart, put your hands behind your back you’re under arrest.

Me: what I’m under arrest?....well it won’t be the first time in cuffs, usually every Valentine’s Day Oh my my my lol.

Busted...to be continued

Seriously I’m in awe, and it’s not about the thought of eating Bologna sandwiches for breakfast Lunch and Dinner!
Yes I did run her at xx >MPH but with no officer interaction. She ran tight, none of the usual drift.
I’m here to say, I just can’t imagine why I didn’t do this upgrade and join the all fours club years ago.
My Smart is a different car now, its born again. It’s as if it was wearing glue for tires, quiet, well behaved at speed and beyond, absolutely no scraping, hitting, on bumps, sharp turns, super smooth ride.
I didn’t test them in the rain, but I’m suspecting good results as well.
Normally I will cruise the expressway at 70MPH and drift all over the lane, this setup seems to hold true and straight.
Hands down, this is money well spent in my honest opinion.
I ran her for over two hours on her new shoes and have zero regrets.
I know my car and it’s handling characteristics, and it’s night and day between the last four years and today.
I will be sure to report back any weirdness if applicable.

The project total was $1152.00 out the door. Thank you to my Honey for helping me out with this project.
Thank you everyone for your help and support in making this dream come true.

Paula

·
Registered
8 Posts
That filled the wheel wells out nice. Like the Mercedes emblems! and BTW old-school is like bicycle tires with spoons. and the syringe pump housings are for the vortex effect for more efficient burn. I have lost a bunch of trees to disease. just a better fire pit for cold nights outside. I have done some work up your way 1 week in Rahway 2001 and a month in Elizabeth NJ. 2007. and I was there 2 months before the towers fell. we went sight seeing down in Manhattan. I drove all of it just like a NY cabbie. Blinker, Honk, Turn! was nervous as all get out. I could see the smart being a very useful car in those settings.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,435 Posts
Paula, it looks great. Nice stance and a really big difference in looks. I am glad you are pleased with the improved handling. I thought you would notice the improvement. Do you have a full on side view photo of the car where the tires and wheels show up more?

·
3,435 Posts
Paula, that looks really great!! Gives the car a whole new look. Two quick points. The tire mounter did not align the valve stem with the yellow paint dot on the tire sidewall. I have always been told that when that is done, it will take less weight to balance because the dot represents the lightest side of the tire. When aligned with the valve stem, it equals out the weight some and takes less balancing weights. Don't know if this is true, but I have heard that from many tire stores and my Corvette Z06 came from the factory that way.
My other suggestion. If you were to paint your rear brake drums matte black, or flat black, they would sort of disappear behind the wheel and give a nice effect. Also, the factory grey paint is not that durable and wears quickly.
Again, looks terrific and I know you have to be proud of your car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
George, Good morning
Besides being proud of her, I’m equally proud to be here among good people who are willing to point things out and help correct issues. If I didn’t post this thread I would have been drawing straws as far as which tires and wheels to mount. I was so in awe when the tires were mounted, I didn’t even realize that rookie mistake the tire monkey did by not aligning up the stem locations. Oh I feel so dumb that I didn’t catch this. Thank you for pointing that out, it’s going to be corrected after we finish our run up to Connecticut today. Gives me something to add to the “what did you do with your Smart today thread”
Definitely on the list is to paint that rear drum as soon as the weather breaks.
Thank you for caring enough to point all these issues out, know it’s appreciated along with a budding friendship.
Paula

·
3,435 Posts
Hi Paula, I hope you enjoy the Connecticut run today. It should be a treat with the better handling car.

Sometimes, I almost hate to point out things I notice on other people's cars. I am completely OCD about cars and I am afraid I may offend them if I say something. I do think we are enthusiasts of a common breed and I know you are as into your cars as I am mine.

I do a lot of silly stuff on my cars that to a lot of people is just plain worthless. Like aligning the tires with valve stems, indexing the center wheel caps, aligning screws so they all point the same way. On my Model T Ford, every bolt was replaced with stainless allen head bolts.

I had a long discussion over on the Corvette forum the other day about this. The waxers understood, but most thought I was crazy. As an example, all the light switch plates in my house have the screws aligned 12 o'clock-6 o'clock. I have a friend that does his 3 and 9. As long as they all match, it's ok. Have a fun trip, George.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Hi Paula, I hope you enjoy the Connecticut run today. It should be a treat with the better handling car.

Sometimes, I almost hate to point out things I notice on other people's cars. I am completely OCD about cars and I am afraid I may offend them if I say something. I do think we are enthusiasts of a common breed and I know you are as into your cars as I am mine.

I do a lot of silly stuff on my cars that to a lot of people is just plain worthless. Like aligning the tires with valve stems, indexing the center wheel caps, aligning screws so they all point the same way. On my Model T Ford, every bolt was replaced with stainless allen head bolts.

I had a long discussion over on the Corvette forum the other day about this. The waxers understood, but most thought I was crazy. As an example, all the light switch plates in my house have the screws aligned 12 o'clock-6 o'clock. I have a friend that does his 3 and 9. As long as they all match, it's ok. Have a fun trip, George.
Good morning George,

If it had not been for your knowledge and know how I would probably be sitting on my original setup. You have my permission if you see something that you feel would help me along, don’t hold back. I’m a big enough girl to know the difference between when someone cares verses an Ego trip. In my book seeing what you have accomplished with your Brabas confirms to me you have the credentials. Again thank you for pointing that out it’s appreciated.
As far as light switch covers go and other little idiosyncrasies, all our screws are also at the 12/6 o’clock positions In our home, so I guess I also belong to the ranks of who care about the little things in life.

We are having a blast up here, the only regrets is I can’t take Stinky into the resort with us, it was painful to see her driven away by the Valet, but she is safe and sound and drew a lot of complaint, which brings me to another project in the works “Panimex side skirts” from smart madness....oh it never ends lol.

She took the ride like a dream, it was raining and her handling on the winding hilly roads on our way to the resort was second to none. I’m just so shocked at the difference, she’s definitely a different car all around. And to top the climax, no Moose jumped out in front of us, And if that had been the case I believe in my driving skills to overcome any and all Obstacles.

George, I hope this message finds you in good spirits and know I appreciate our budding friendship and kindred interests.
Paula

·
3,435 Posts
Hi Paula, glad you are having a good time with the "new car". I am sure there are some beautiful roads in your area. I have been through most of NY state, but never in the city. I was not driving a fun car at the time, but the roads were inviting.
Those Panimex side skirts do look good and should be easy to install. Do you have a good painter you trust or will you tackle that yourself? I think you can do most everything you attempt on your cars and that is so cool. Take care, George.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Hi Paula, glad you are having a good time with the "new car". I am sure there are some beautiful roads in your area. I have been through most of NY state, but never in the city. I was not driving a fun car at the time, but the roads were inviting.
Those Panimex side skirts do look good and should be easy to install. Do you have a good painter you trust or will you tackle that yourself? I think you can do most everything you attempt on your cars and that is so cool. Take care, George.
George,
I think I’m going to mount them in gloss black to match the Tridium frame. I think it would look nice carrying that black down below. Remember your thoughts and input are appreciated here!
Paula

61 - 80 of 87 Posts