Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Major service was recently performed (thankfully under warranty) to replace the power control board. I got the car back (after 4 months waiting for a backordered board from Germany) to find my spare key no longer worked. Not only did it not turn on the "ignition" switch, the buttons for door locks, etc. did nothing. I followed the thread for replacing the battery to no avail. It turned out that the key just needed to be re-programmed to the car. The dealer did it for me while I waited and it now seems fine. I was told that they usualy charge $150 for this service, but thankfully I was only out a few hours of my weekend.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,636 Posts
You are very lucky to get the key reprogrammed for free. Most dealers charged unreasonable prices for this service. Also, welcome to the forum. There are a lot of well informed people here and I am sure you will enjoy your time here.

·
Registered
857 Posts
That's one of the better price quotes I have heard, if that translates to 150. Dollars to program a spare key. That would be worth a ride up the Interstate to Mass.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,859 Posts
I got the car back (after 4 months waiting for a backordered board from Germany) to find my spare key no longer worked. Not only did it not turn on the "ignition" switch, the buttons for door locks, etc. did nothing. It turned out that the key just needed to be re-programmed to the car. The dealer did it for me while I waited and it now seems fine. I was told that they usualy charge $150 for this service, but thankfully I was only out a few hours of my weekend.
Dan, welcome to SCoA!

Being as the Major WARRANTY Service included replacing a "control" board, re-programming the second key should have been FREE and part of the warranty work. A shame that after 4 months of waiting for the part that the dealer didn't ask you to bring in the spare FOB to link with it with the new board???

There's a few more hours of "waiting" that you will never get back . . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts