Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ve had our 2015 for over two years but now have a question. Is this car capable of having an aluminum ramp attached to back to carry a 330 lb motorized wheelchair? It would have to have a trailer hitch receiver installed, but don’t know if that is possible or if the Smart could carry the weight, help

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got a hitch and have a little steel rack thing that I have loaded up with around 200lb before with no issues other than it being quite low to the ground and scraping a little over speed bumps.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,352 Posts
And the farther the load is from the CG the more leverage it has; I'd think having a narrower rack would be the way to go. :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 Brabus MY21 Bolt
8,095 Posts
Hanging 330+ pounds on the back of the car may cause problems with handling and steering; perhaps somebody who has tried it can weigh in....
Welcome to SCoA!

With a Cargo Capacity of only 340 pounds you could have problems with the CG moving rearward such that the front wheels may have very little weight on them (under steer?)??

Add to that nighttime driving where your headlights will be blinding oncoming drivers while lighting the tops of the trees???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts