Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
It's pretty obvious that they really broke something in the front suspension at some point - I'm guessing that they bent a strut, or bent the upright that attaches to the bottom of the strut. And kept on driving!

At a certain point in the validation procedure, you keep pushing things harder and harder until something breaks, and this was it.

·
Registered
8,967 Posts
...well...you took mine off roading at the first Dragon...
...remember????

jetfuel...how can I forget...

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
Distracted trying to get that damn maraca music off the radio. :D The off roading was nothing like the jump in the video (which is a good thing....) :eek:

·
17,349 Posts
Would love to see this repeated with a 451, just to see if there's a noticeable difference. :)
Lets call up Larry or DeepBlueQ (or whatever that kid's name was), they know a thing or two about killing a smart. :D :p

·
Banned
682 Posts
Video of a 2015 Smart test mule during durability testing...

Here's a 5 minute video of a 2015 Smart test mule during durability testing!

Here's the link to the video...

Disclaimer...please don't attempt this with your Smart!!! LOL

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Excellent find!!! I'm so excited for this car. I'm getting one. :) ED or ICE, I'm getting one - and I haven't even seen the real thing! :p

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks for the Vid! I would say that camera person probably got a talking to by local police. Anyways I just can not get excited about the looks of that car. Looks exactly like a IQ with a very ugly paint job. I guess we will really see once the wrap comes off but so far I am not impressed. Glad I have my #1 car in the garage. The only way I will get one is if the real tuned Brabus shows up and the price is not crazy.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Tidbit: Around 2:44, if you stop the video at the right moment, you can tell that it still has beam-axle rear suspension of some sort (deDion counts as beam axle).

After the landing, the suspension on the side that landed hard looks pretty much bottomed out, and the other side is topped out, and the left and right wheels are still aligned with each other, which is only possible with a beam axle. Compare the angles of the rear wheels (beam axle) and front wheels (MacPherson independent), at that moment.

It's also pretty clear that this test was putting a hurting on the tires, too ...

That would have been a rough ride.

A few seconds after that, after they hit the obstacle, you can get an idea what the headlights are going to look like ... and after the second hit, you can get an idea what the grille is going to look like, because that hit ripped part of the camouflage off, along with the hood ...

·
Banned
682 Posts
Thanks for the Vid! I would say that camera person probably got a talking to by local police. Anyways I just can not get excited about the looks of that car. Looks exactly like a IQ with a very ugly paint job. I guess we will really see once the wrap comes off but so far I am not impressed. Glad I have my #1 car in the garage. The only way I will get one is if the real tuned Brabus shows up and the price is not crazy.
You & me both...the basic shape certainly doesn't look very inspiring...I'm just hoping it's a crude test mule...Mercedes needs a home run with regards to the 453 styling!

·
Registered
521 Posts
The shape of the car looks weird, current smart looks way better.

Can't say i like it, and i have said that the 2013 smart is the best looking smart yet, its pretty much perfected.

So if this is the new smart then they definitely didn't top it and went downhill instead.

·
17,349 Posts
I'm hoping you guys know the point behind camouflage and extra body cladding on a test mule, right? :confused:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I think there is a strong possibility we will see more of a "nose" on the next smart for structural changes under the panels to allow better performance in crash tests. Doesn't really matter whether or not we like it. If the car gets higher ratings in crash tests and protects its occupants better, it will happen.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts