Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
Sure sounds like a 12v battery issue. It's under the passenger side floor "board." See photos of it here:

Oh, I'm assuming your car is a 451, i.e. 2016 or older. If it is a 453, then the 12v battery is under the "hood."

If it's discharged or more than five or so years old, I'd sure consider replacing it.

Len

Reactions: MB DNA

· Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
You are new here and we welcome you. I'm guessing that the 2012 Japanese car is not an electric? Please do a little research on our forum. Put the work "brick" in the search box and I bet you will be running out to get a new 12v battery tomorrow.

Keep us posted please. We are hoping for a good outcome.

Len

· Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
That is great news and probably a wise decision to replace the battery. If you've got the original battery in there or if it's a replacement Mercedes/Smart battery, there is a date code on the negative terminal. It will tell you the week and year of the battery. If there is an aftermarket battery in there, then the date could be in a lot of different places. As an FYI, I just replaced the battery in one of mine with a Mercedes battery and it cost me $162 plus tax - that was with about a 20% discount I think.

Len

· Super Moderator
2,136 Posts
On an ICE I replace the battery when it tells me it's time. That could be10 to 12 years. Unlike the EV's, there is little chance of any serious damage to the battery going dead. On my EV's I go at least six years, maybe seven, because I drive them a couple of days a week at least, know how they are treated and test them a couple of ties a year. For me a routine 3 to 4 year new battery interval is a waste of money, but to each his own. If it makes you sleep better at night, then go for it.

Len

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.