Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends!

I've had my 2015 smart fortwo for a couple weeks now and I LOVE it!

I'm now looking at extended warranties because I'm scared to death something will happen to it that will end up costing an arm and a leg.

Does anyone know of any known issues with the 2015 smart fortwo's that I should be aware of when looking for an extended warranty?

If you would purchase an extended warranty, what parts would you want to have covered in your 2015 smart fortwo?

Thanks everyone! :)

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
If I were you I wouldn't worry much about what you can't predict. Just keep up with the regularly scheduled maintenance, and be sure to use 91 octane fuel at a minimum to ensure the best engine performance and longevity. Other than that, if something breaks or shows signs of needing to be replaced, it'll let you know most likely early enough to repair... :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
17,480 Posts
2015 is the best year for the ICE 451. By that time, smart had ironed out pretty much all of the quality issues that plagued the 2008s and 2009s and they have the most up to date build materials.

Three things to consider:

1) If you have the clear panoramic roof, at one point it will begin "crazing". Crazing starts with hairline cracks in the inner layers of the panel. After a few more years or so, it'll then progress on to external delamination. This doesn't compromise the car's safety, however it is unsightly. Keep the roof clean and waxed and it should keep clear for a good amount of time.

It took my 2012 about three years and 60,000 miles to begin crazing. I've been informed through internal communications with smart USA that 2013 and newer cars have a better formulation, so they should have better endurance.

2) If you have the solid roof (can't see through it), I would avoid using windscreen washing fluid with ammonia. The ammonia seemingly eats away at the finish of the roof skin until sometime down the road (looks like roughly 8 years) there is clear discolouration right past the windscreen. Some of these roofs also begin delaminating around this time. Again, keep it clean and this shouldn't be a worry for a long time, if ever.

3) While I haven't seen any reports of it on 2010+ cars, the reds and yellows used for the plastic panels have been known to begin peeling after 8 years or so. Hopefully when smart introduced new colours they fixed whatever is causing it. My blue 2012 is holding strong, as are both my 2005s.

Outside of those caveats, take care of the car and it will provide you with many miles of smiles. If I were in your shoes, I'd pass on the warranty. Though, I am a serial cheapskate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a bunch! That's really helpful. Extended warranties definitely aren't cheap so if I can get away without needing one, that would be the way to go.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Super Moderator
1,606 Posts
Keep in mind that an extended warranty is nothing but an insurance policy and in the long run the insurance companies always win.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 15,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 5,500 miles

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You got that right! I've decided to skip the extended warranty and just set aside the cash that'd I'd be paying each month for the warranty.

Thanks for all the help, folks! You made my decision much easier.

·
Super Moderator
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,784 Posts
I've had my 2015 smart fortwo for a couple weeks now and I LOVE it!

I'm now looking at extended warranties because I'm scared to death something will happen to it that will end up costing an arm and a leg.

Does anyone know of any known issues with the 2015 smart fortwo's that I should be aware of when looking for an extended warranty?

If you would purchase an extended warranty, what parts would you want to have covered in your 2015 smart fortwo?
Brian, welcome to SCoA - and your MY15 smart may still have some factory warranty, how many miles?

In 2008 when we picked up our first smart the vehicle had no known "mechanical issues" but a miserably SHORT factory warranty. That caused us to buy a third party extended warranty from the smart Center BUT never used it!

Although you may not know the maintenance history of your "new to you" smart, after 7 years and a facelift, the smart you own is far more reliable than the early 451's.

I would not buy an extended warranty . . .

·
Registered
65 Posts
Could I ask what you paid and how many miles are on it as I have a 2015 Brabus with 16k miles and am curious as to what they're going for? I also would like to say I have had no mechanical issues at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts