Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts
Some nice shots in there, even with the snow. Looks like the two piece hatch carries over. Exhaust pipe on the left now and the four bolt wheels appear again so that may be the new setup. No big whip antenna but some big headlights. License plate still on the hatch. Any idea where these photos are being taken? :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
The road sign in the last picture is in Sweden (Pretty seriously north Sweden too...). I am still wondering what's up with the snout.

·
17,345 Posts
Some nice shots in there, even with the snow. Looks like the two piece hatch carries over. Exhaust pipe on the left now and the four bolt wheels appear again so that may be the new setup. No big whip antenna but some big headlights. License plate still on the hatch. Any idea where these photos are being taken? :)
Good observations Jwight!

If the prototypes are to believed, the forfour and fortwo will be different in more ways than just seating and length.

The rear hatch of the forfour prototype is a single piece and the license plate is on the bumper.

FYI - The exhaust pipe is on the left side on European 451s. It's only on the right in US 451s because of emissions equipment. :)

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Looks like the two piece hatch carries over... License plate still on the hatch.

How can you tell that's a two-piece hatch? I can't see any clue about that.

Interesting that the rear license plate is located differently than shown in the recent ForFour pics. Maybe that could vary by market (EU vs. US, for example), rather than by model? :dunno:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
17,345 Posts

Interesting that the rear license plate is located differently than shown in the recent ForFour pics. Maybe that could vary by market (EU vs. US, for example), rather than by model? :dunno:

Looking at the rather large gap between the bottom of the tailgate and the top of the back bumper (on the fortwo prototype), I think it's fair to assume that the tailgate will be split opening.

But then, that leaves the question about the forfour prototype, which clearly has a single piece of a hatch and a license plate on the bumper.

Maybe smart is trying to make the forfour like a more traditional hatchback, while the fortwo remains the loco crazy city car we all know it to be?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Looking at the rather large gap between the bottom of the tailgate and the top of the back bumper (on the fortwo prototype), I think it's fair to assume that the tailgate will be split opening.

I don't think your assumption is correct, however...

If you study the hi-res rear pics careful, I think you'll conclude that it's a one-piece hatch, and that the gap is simply to allow for engine cooling. I don't believe the design of the rear bumper would allow clearance for a clamshell hatch to drop down without hitting the sides of the bumper's lip.

·
Super Moderator
28,237 Posts

If you look at the high res version of the 7th photo (the straight rear view) you can see the break between the glass and the tailgate. smart has a lot more flexibility on the fortwo since they aren't sharing the external design with Renault. On the forfour they appear to be stuck with some of the Twingo basics, like the one piece hatch and license plate location. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
We know the forfour has a one-piece hatch (there's a pic floating around showing it open!) but look at the high-res pic of the fortwo straight from the back.

The rear window wiper pivots from the top, same as the 451.

Centrally in the bottom of the window ... the rear window defroster lines bend around a big obstruction with a plastic thing sticking through the glass. That's the latch for the window!

I don't think the "tridion" cell is retained, at least not in the same manner as the 451 has it. In the high-res view of the right side, you can see the outline of the fuel door - it's very close to the rear edge of the door cut-line (much further forward than the 451 has it). There is no trace of a cut-line between where the 451 would have between the back edge of the tridion and the front of the plastic section of the rear fender.

My opinion remains that the 453 will be more conventionally constructed than the 451. Steel unitized body with bolt-on plastic parts (front fenders, possibly door panels, possibly tailgate and hood). Plastic for the rear bumper cover same as a conventional car would have it. No plastic rear fenders - the steel body extends right down to the wheel wells and to the cut-line for the rear bumper. Call the unitized bodyshell the "tridion" cell if you want but it won't have the 451's full rear wheel wells and fenders in plastic. Whether they retain the "tridion" in cosmetic form or just paint the whole car one colour ... remains to be seen.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
If you look at the high res version of the 7th photo (the straight rear view) you can see the break between the glass and the tailgate. smart has a lot more flexibility on the fortwo since they aren't sharing the external design with Renault. On the forfour they appear to be stuck with some of the Twingo basics, like the one piece hatch and license plate location. :)

Possibly. The break you mentioned between the glass on the tailgate may be real, or simply visual. I studied it for a good five minutes, and could not say conclusively.

In support of your theory, however, is the difference in the design of the lower portion of the hatch between the two models. On the 4/4, the lower portion of the hatch wraps around the bottom of the taillight, while on the 4/2 it doesn't.

·
17,345 Posts
I don't think your assumption is correct, however...

If you study the hi-res rear pics careful, I think you'll conclude that it's a one-piece hatch, and that the gap is simply to allow for engine cooling. I don't believe the design of the rear bumper would allow clearance for a clamshell hatch to drop down without hitting the sides of the bumper's lip.
The forfour definitely has a one piece hatch, as shown by it being open during one of the spy shots.

However, the hatch of the fortwo prototype follows the design of the 451. It's hinged from the roof, there's over a 1 inch gap at the bottom to accommodate a down tailgate, and the bottom of the window is blacked out, where the latch would be.

Oh, and the rear wiper is top mounted, rather than bottom mounted...because whatever lies behind that blacked out space.

The forfour prototype has the exact opposite design. Also remember, both cars are rear engined, so there is no reason for the tailgate gap of the fortwo to be significantly larger than the forfour if the gap was there just for cooling.

That said, we both could be right, we both could be wrong. It could be that they invent a tailgate that works both ways!!! :)

I don't think the "tridion" cell is retained, at least not in the same manner as the 451 has it. In the high-res view of the right side, you can see the outline of the fuel door - it's very close to the rear edge of the door cut-line (much further forward than the 451 has it). There is no trace of a cut-line between where the 451 would have between the back edge of the tridion and the front of the plastic section of the rear fender.

My opinion remains that the 453 will be more conventionally constructed than the 451. Steel unitized body with bolt-on plastic parts (front fenders, possibly door panels, possibly tailgate and hood). Plastic for the rear bumper cover same as a conventional car would have it. No plastic rear fenders - the steel body extends right down to the wheel wells and to the cut-line for the rear bumper. Call the unitized bodyshell the "tridion" cell if you want but it won't have the 451's full rear wheel wells and fenders in plastic. Whether they retain the "tridion" in cosmetic form or just paint the whole car one colour ... remains to be seen.
My only problem with this, is that Daimler has already confirmed that the fourjoy concept directly mirrors what will be coming off the production line. As in, the cars will look almost exactly like the concept.

So there really shouldn't be any speculation as to if the car will have an exposed Tridion Cell or not.

When Dr. Z teased the 453 during his press conference, it was white with a silver Tridion Cell. The Tridion Cell closely matched the one on the fourjoy.

Also remember that the prototype cars are wrapped in the camo, so you won't see the crease of the Tridion Cell. The only reason you see the door line and fuel door line is because those are moving, opening parts that can be covered in a wrap. There's no point in putting the camo into the crease of the Tridion Cell for a prototype. As it stands, wrapping a car isn't the easiest thing ever...

So yeah, don't worry. It's going to have a visible, real Tridion Cell. I'd bet the future of Apple on that. :D

·
Registered
1,104 Posts

As Neon said, the FourJoy is very, VERY close to the production vehicle in Tridion design, and front and rear pieces. Maybe not a grille integrated into the body panels, but the rest is very close.

I agree with what you're saying about rear fender designs. The Tridion is going back to the 450 design that wraps around to the rear of the car. I like the 451's design more since it seems more minimalistic, but I can dig the classic 450 style as well.

-----

Any ideas what the little silver-colored, lens-looking-things are in the center of the rear bumper and to the left of the plate on the front of the car?

I almost thought the rear was a single rear fog, but I'm kind of hoping for parking cameras for ultimate space-squeezing!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts