Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently noticed that the engine is not idle as smooth as before.
I originally thought the engine just needs to warm up a little since I use it mostly for running errands (short trips) and did not pay much attention to it.
Yesterday, the check engine light is on when I was at the parking lot and it took me 4 or 5 tries to start the engine (panic a little... but it finally started and I drove home without further issue)
Use my cheap bluetooth OBD-II reader to look up the OBD-II trouble code at home.
It is P0016 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 1 Sensor A error.

Any ideas on what can be the cause for this error?
Thanks

·
Registered
642 Posts
Check your wires . Question , have you added any Performance upgrade that piggybacks off the harness ? .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check your wires . Question , have you added any Performance upgrade that piggybacks off the harness ? .
No performance upgrade on this car. Only upgrade was replacing the stock radio with an Android Head Unit with front/back cameras, but that was couple months ago.
Doing some online search now on "camshaft position sensor" (part #:626.905.11.00 or 626.905.08.00, not sure which one is correct) and the price vary from $10 to $100. Huh?
This car owner is learning slowly...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone knows where the Camshaft Position Sensor is located on a 2016 Prime with 0.9L Turbo DCT engine?
Is it hard to get to? A picture will be really helpful.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, found this thread: Engine idling rough
Another part # to look up and another possible cause.
p.s. I cleared the code and the engine still idle rough. Have not had a chance to drive around yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There are a few issues that might cause this, first would be that the timing chain jumped teeth can be a reason why the camshaft timing can get out of position. Another would be there can be some problems with the phasor due to which the camshaft phaser is out of position, or the incorrect oil viscosity or the partly clogged passages can be a reason why oil flows to the phasor is impeded and lastly it may be that the oil control valve may have a restriction in the OCV filter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a 2016 453. Isn't it too "young" to have timing chain problem?
Motor oil and filter were changed about 3000 miles ago (synthetic 5w40) so they should still be good.
By "camshaft phaser", do you mean the "solenoid" mentioned in this thread (https://www.smartcarofamerica.com/threads/engine-idling-rough.153750/)?
The part number mentioned there was: smart : A2811530159 / Renault : 237964892R. But the closest part I can find online is part number: A2811530000 (ebay). Are they the same?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yikes, drive around the block after clearing the code and it is getting worse.
OBD2 scan return more codes:
  • P0011 - Camshaft Position 'A' Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance Bank 1
  • P0128 - Coolant Thermostat Malfunction
  • P0300 - Cylinder Misfire Detected Random Cylinders
  • P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
  • P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
My car is grounded while I am learning and searching for solution(s). Isn't life exciting?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like there are not much "collective knowledge" on 453 engine here and my lone research for solution continues.
So far, possible causes, suggested and found on internet are these (plus my plan of attack):
  • dirty/bad motor oil -- Since motor oil was changed less than 3000 miles ago (should be good for 10k, right?) and still looks clean upon inspection, this is not likely to be the cause. But ordered "LiquiMoly 2332 5w40" and BeckArnley 041-0881 oil filter" anyway, just in case.
  • damaged wiring harness -- Not sure about this, assuming it is about the wires in the engine bay. I did not find any obvious damages there. I had replaced the stock radio with an Android Head Unit (which works fine and it only needs a wire-tap to the backup light to trigger backup camera). Not likely is the cause.
  • spark plugs, ignition coils -- Will check the spark plugs conditions and shuffle the ignition coils around to see if it will affect the error codes. They looks fine. Spark plug gap is 0.028in as expected.
  • the infamous 453 rough idle problem -- Something about a "solenoid" (part #: smart : A2811530159 / Renault : 237964892R). This part (A2811539159) is hard to find online. Tried RockAuto, AutoZone, AdvanceAuto, etc. and come up empty, am I doing it wrong? I do find the Renault part: 237964892R on ebay (none of the sellers are from North America) and the Smart part #: A2811530000 sometimes popped up as the OEM equiv. Buying auto parts on ebay is kind of risky but I will give this a try as replacing this part seems easy enough.
  • all other possible causes: timing chain, cam shaft sensor, crank shaft sensor -- beyond my skill level and may need to bring it car to MB service center...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unfortunately not many people work on these engines let alone modify them. Have you looked for a service manual so you can find how to test it also have you just checked for any oil in the connector ? Not sure about this vehicle but in the past I have seen sensors go bad and oil seep to the pins on the connector. Many people just point you to what they have read from forums unfortunately. All cars are unique yes there can be common problems but many different causes. I have really beat on my car on canyon driving have had many issues/ faults but have not ran into a cam fault. Hopefully you get your car fixed soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I took out the spark plugs and check them again. My bad! A classic newbie DIYer mistake of assuming the "brand new pre-gap spark plug out of the box must be up-to-spec". Guess what, the gap is 0.023in instead of 0.028in that it was supposed to be.

Clear the codes, replaced the spark plugs (0.028in gap now) and went out for a test drive (15mi). No dice. Check Engine light is back.
Back to square one... I.e. still have rough idle, still getting P0016. But at least the P0300, P0301, P0303 (cylinder misfire errors) were gone.

Next, I will seriously go for the fix on that infamous 453 rough idle problem. Other than ebay, where do regular people order their car parts?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Check the wiring for the cam shaft position sensor , that is located near the alternator just aft of it, very small wires , check for chaffing or other visible signs of problems . That could explain a firing issue on the cylinders . I had that code once and it related to a splice into the cam position sensor for a power pack install.. it might be a combo of other things but I’d start there .

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on my problem and solution
  • not dirt motor oil -- checked motor oil and it still looks clean
  • no wiring damage -- none detected
  • spark plugs -- checked gap (0.028in), still looks good
and...drum roll... the problem is...more drum roll...
  • the solenoid valve -- located at upper right corner of the engine bay, very easy to replace.
    • All codes cleared and test driven for 20min, so far so good
    • No more rough idle
    • I am happy
The new part:

The old part:

The hole: I spay some wd-40 at the base before removing the old part so dirt will either washed away or stay put and not falling into the hole

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great news , easy fix too . I’ll tell note on this one for the future .
Yes, this fix is easy (lucky me). The hard part is not to be confused by all the "other" error codes.
In my case, the keywords are: "rough idle", "difficult to start", P0016 and may be P0011.
At one time during test run, I even got a "Brake Assist System (BAS) Inoperative" message on the dash and the car goes into "crawling mode", which, I believe, is just another red-herring.
I was so lucky that I have the bluetooth OBD-2 dongle installed on my car at the time. I was able to clear the code on the side of the road and drove home.
Nothing is more rewarding than learning something new and solving a problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts