Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mike700
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you access the 453 oil drain bolt and oil filter canister when all four wheels are on the ground or does car need to be on a lift or jacked up or on ramps? THANKS. Mike700

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Oil drain plug, yes. Filter cap.... Only if you're quite skinny and a contortionist. The filter housing is actually at the front-side of the engine, kind of up above where the oil pan is. I changed the oil in mine once just using a floor jack... And then went and got a pair of ramps. Even then it can be tricky to get a socket to it, let alone see it.
Can you access the 453 oil drain bolt and oil filter canister when all four wheels are on the ground or does car need to be on a lift or jacked up or on ramps? THANKS. Mike700
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can't reach the filter unless the vehicle is raised in some manor. I have used a jack once and 6 inch ramps once on my 453. I liked the ramps best and will do it that way in the future.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I absolutely hate oil changes in my 453! The filter location is terrible and that plastic filter “cover” is a poor design. It is all too easy to bug up the “nut” on the cover. I have been changing oil in my vehicles for more than 55 years and am about to pay my local shop to do it in the 453 on a lift. They will allow me to bring oil and filter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a list of tools, filter & oring, drain plug washer. I lay everything out under the car in the order that I need it. I start with the filter, using a 6 point socket and of course a torque wrench for retightening. I can then roll my way back on the creeper and drain it on the way out. I have been doing oil changes for 68 years on my fathers and my stuff, and this is surely not as stone cold easy as my 451, with organization it's not bad at all. I will say the first time was a nightmare as I was up and down from under the car so many times to get tools and parts. To me the hassle is worth it because of what a great car the 453 is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a list of tools, filter & oring, drain plug washer. I lay everything out under the car in the order that I need it.
What size is the drain plug washer? I have searched a bunch and cannot locate. I'm ordering all things needed to do my first oil change.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't know. When I picked up the car new, I went to parts and purchased a half dozen filters and drain plug washers also.
Rich

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mini (2nd gen) Seal Ring for Oil Drain Plug
Amazon.com: Mini (2nd gen) Seal Ring for Oil Drain Plug: Automotive

Those are the ones I've been ordering for my oil changes. Says for a 2nd generation Mini, but same size as the Smarts'.
My new-to-me C453 is due for an oil change soon. So I started looking for more detail information and started to order parts.
With my online research, I had determined that this "Mini (2nd gen) seal ring" has the same appearance and dimension as "M16x22 copper hollow crush gasket".
In theory, any crush washer (there are "flat crush washer" out there) with ID: 16mm and OD: 22mm should fit, though I think hollow crush gasket will work better.
Other related notes on using "hollow crush gasket":
  • the side with the slot should face the "non rotating surface"
  • make an extra 1/4 turn (~90 degree) at the end to "crush the gasket and make a tight seal"
  • should not re-use old crush gasket of any style
So, if you don't mine using generic parts, it can be a lot less expensive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts