Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mike700
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm about to purchase a 2016 Pure. Two questions;
1) Car only comes with one car key. What will a second key cost and can I only get it from Mercedes/ Smart or can I purchase one from an aftermarket source?
2) Car doesn't come with the cargo area retractable cover. Where can I buy one and how much?
Thanks!
Mike700

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’m not much help on the key. I have a 2011 I bought with 1 key. I’m in Little Rock, Arkansas and the closest Smart Service center is Tulsa, OK. I called them and was told I have to drive the car there and order the key in person (won’t accept phone order). Once the key comes in and Mercedes sends the batch of codes I have to drive back and they will program with me there. I don’t really have time to make 2 trips to Tulsa. Plus I think they told me the key would cost around $175 and then another $100 or so to program.

I’ve read in various forums owners have purchased key blanks online and had a local locksmith cut it and program. I’ve contacted every local one I can find via their websites and none have responded. Either they don’t check their email or just don’t care.

As far as the cargo cover, you can get one cheap (a lot cheaper than the 451).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,756 Posts
i'm about to purchase a 2016 Pure. Two questions;
1) Car only comes with one car key.
Mike, welcome to SCoA.

The MY16 Pure was delivered new with two keys and now it is missing a very important and costly part, the key fob.

Before closing "the deal" negotiate a discount off the final price that reflects YOUR COST in both time and money. No different than damage or missing parts, the value is less than that of a similar smart with two fobs.

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Or make the deal contingent on getting the second key, especially if the car is coming from a car dealer.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 15,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 5,500 miles

1 - 4 of 4 Posts