Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
292 Posts
As N9QQD wrote:
In meantime there are also options in US to fix the BMS ECU in US by Bill which takes out the high costs for transportation and tax to Europe by Bill.
He also did go the long way. If you use the right cheap 120V or 400V powersupply for a few bucks, i supported several approaches to recharge the HV battery and fix the issues within 2-3 days to bring back the car to road again.

In meantime much more knowledge how to bring back the car and the several rootcauses for the issues are known.

So i wonder on Yinzer's comment he never read about finally fixed cars. Even here in the forum several successful approaches where posted and described in details.

If you use google or deepl translation you maybe follow also the German Goingelectric forum and special the Smart ED3 part. There i also wrote expensivly about how to do it.

· Registered
292 Posts
The problem is there is not only on common case and solution.
Depending on the case the solution is different. But also Bill was telling how it need to be done. Or the Norway colleague even with the word documentation about 2 years before. The canadian guy also, and many more successful brought there car back on road.

Most critical is, if some cells are not taking charge or degraded too much. To change a cells is the worst work to do.
Also if the current sensor died already during discharge ( or during charge), actual there is no cheap solution.
To fix the P18051C is easy in meantime. Never the less there are some addition failures and dangers, which need to be solved inside the BMS.

The OBD solution with the Openport seems to be the most easy and cheap solution.

So the costs for fixing the HV battery issues could depend from some hours work up to 1000$ -1500$ and beyond. Depending of all puzzle pieces which need to be done. And for sure who helps you or do the job. The given price indications are increased in meantime according the published prices.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts