Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2016 smart fortwo passion with the 900cc turbo engine; along with an extended warranty.

It is now Jan 2020 and i purchased the car in Jan 2017 as a demo...
The extended warranty covers up to 120,000km not in addition to the base 80,000km warranty, which I asked to confirm to make sure, and even added the words 200,000km total.

Now the issue at hand:

My "Turbo Blew" so said the dealer, and for some reason will not give me more than that in terms of information. This is pertinent since due to the mileage I do I am now in extended warranty land. The dealer said that Mercedes-Benz Canada will not cover the repair due to the part number involved, which I have no idea what it is other than its the turbo.... ish.

Now the fun bit, this repair with labour is going to cost a massive 5-7 thousand dollars, and I still owe money on the car. I have been digging for info for the past days to no avail and I very upset, and soon to be out my honeymoon money, which again, sucks even more.

Also, is someone has had the same issue, maybe chime in on this.

Thank you

Will

·
Super Moderator
29,155 Posts
Welcome to SCoA! :)
Where to start...time to read that extended warranty (was it from smart or a third party?) line by line and determine what is and isn't covered. I'm hard pressed to believe it wouldn't cover the turbo on a turbo engine....The dealer won't provide details on what failed? Time to call Mercedes-Benz Canada and start raising hell - the dealer owes you a complete explanation of what exactly is needed to "justify" the 5-7 grand bill - I'm guessing you could get a complete new engine for that money...."due to the part number involved" makes no sense - again, the dealer owes you a complete listing of parts and labor to justify that crazy estimate, IMHO. Is there a Canadian consumer protection agency you can get to look into this - it just doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
What does you extended warranty policy, cover? Did you read over the policy? Did it mention the turbo? Who is the extended warranty with MB, or a 3rd. Party. Have you contacted the extended warranty company, explaining why your turbo isn’t covered.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Strictly speaking, they're not actually warranties at all. They are mechanical breakdown insurande policies that cover a finite list of components against failure for a finite list of reasons - they fall well short of the cover a warranty provides.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts