Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my GF picked up a 2016 Edition 1 Smart last week. So far we have 1050 miles in 8 days. She has a 100 mile a day commute.

So our issue is that the gas gauge seems show low fuel starting around 200 miles. when you fill it up it only take 5.5-6 gallons. we set it to the slowest setting to fill when at the pumps and usually try the pull the nozzle out method. In the manual it stats there is a 8.7 Gallon tank with a 1.3 gallon reserve.

Tonight I took the car to a buddy's house and decided to run it down to 0 gallons left to see how much gas It would take to fill up from empty. as you can see i could only pump 6.8 gallons in, it originally stopped at 6.5

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Take a number and get in line! I'm hopeful that Daimler finds an easy remedy... maybe there is a calibration issue that can be corrected via software. Time will tell... we're working on it, we've had a few cars in the service center for the issues and no remedies yet...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Would find it hard to believe that it'd be a software-correctable calibration issue when pumping fuel has nothing to do with the software of the car. Kinda has me wondering if that's why on my 2016 i just picked up at the dealer yesterday, which had a "full" tank when i drove it off the lot, is now down to half a tank, or a bar under half, and i've only put about 130 miles on the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would find it hard to believe that it'd be a software-correctable calibration issue when pumping fuel has nothing to do with the software of the car. Kinda has me wondering if that's why on my 2016 i just picked up at the dealer yesterday, which had a "full" tank when i drove it off the lot, is now down to half a tank, or a bar under half, and i've only put about 130 miles on the car.
I believe the gas gauge is not a true reading from the tank, but an equation the cars computer does to estimate how much fuel is left in the tank. Many new cars are like this nowadays. In this case, A software update would fix the issue.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
It's possible that these cars with short fill problems have the 28L tank....a bit over 7 USG.

Either that or they botched up the US standard vapour recovery system.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
When the 451 first came out, there was the same issues about the gauge and how many gallons in the tank. It was finally put to rest by one of the members who pulled the tank and measured how much it took to fill it from empty. -- 10 gallons--
I believe that of the 10 gallons, they only stated the amount of fuel that could be used, or 8.7 gallons, with a 1.3 gal reserve. It was never clear if the 8.7 included the reserve or not.

I suspect the 453 may be the same issue.

I myself never worried too much about it as when the gauge gets to the lower end, it seems to be more accurate and I would just fill it when it got low. There were a number of owners that took their cars in to have the gauge recalibrated but it did not make much difference.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not the 28L vs 33L issue. I thought of that and was able to trickle fill the tank to 33L when running almost empty. It's so frustrating when filling up knowing the gas tank can take so much more but the gas pumps just wont allow you to fill it up. SMART!!!! DO SOMETHING.....PLEASE!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
over filling the tank will cause problems. And since it is a city car, there should be plenty of refilling stations around.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Filled mine today from one bar - no reserve warning yet. Only took 6.11 gallons and gauges dictated full. Drive home about 15 miles and gauge still showed full. Couldn't coax any more into tank.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
28 litres it is. Puny tank! I wonder why the optional (in Europe) larger tank was not made standard in a large country like the USA.

·
Registered
271 Posts
28 litres it is. Puny tank! I wonder why the optional (in Europe) larger tank was not made standard in a large country like the USA.
In Europe can you get the larger tank on the turbo car or is it limited to a natural aspirated engine? Just a question as I have not idea just a thought. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Just checked: my owner's manual lists total tank capacity as 8.7 gal (33L) , of which 1.7 gal (5L) is reserve. 2016 Passion Coupe with Twinamic

1 - 20 of 110 Posts