Smart Car of America Forum banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Overfilling your tank is not due to a defect. The fuel nozzle will shut off multiple times before that occurs, and only somebody who insists on being stubborn and taking risks will continually fight through each fuel nozzle shutoff above and beyond the 8.7 gallon tank size that has been repeated over and over in this thread, in the owner's manual, on smart usa's website, etc,.
I only get 3.5 damn gallons on a fill, when down to 1 bar, before the nozzle shuts off. (Once I had 2 bars/1/4 tank left and the gas shut off at TWO GALLONS.) I have twice accidentally overfilled the tank (and both times, at less than 6.5 gallons out of the pump), not because I'm trying to squeeze 12 gallons into my 8.7 gallon tank, but rather because I'd like to drive for more than 2 hours at a time without running out of gas.

If by some chance this has ruined my car, I fully expect Smart to cover it, since it is only because of their defective tank that I had to slow-fill my car to get even close to the stated gas tank limits.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Anyone know if Twingo or ForFour owners are having a similar problem? Do ForTwo owners in countries besides the US have this issue?

·
Registered
170 Posts
We all know that auto manufactures never lie, mislead, or cover up defects so I apologize and stand corrected. Thank you.
We fully acknowledge the issues with the fuel tank in some US spec cars, and dealers have been informed of this. An official repair is on the way that I'm sure will please owners with affected vehicles. I apologize for the frustrations this issue has caused owners, but I can assure you the fuel tank is designed to hold 8.7 gallons and it should not be overfilled.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Anyone know if Twingo or ForFour owners are having a similar problem? Do ForTwo owners in countries besides the US have this issue?
US/Canadian spec vehicles receive a unique tank/filler neck to comply with US regulations. Unfortunately it is some of these tanks that owners are reporting fueling issues with, and the problems do not extend to European cars or other vehicles on the platform.

·
Registered
451 Posts
We fully acknowledge the issues with the fuel tank in some US spec cars, and dealers have been informed of this. An official repair is on the way that I'm sure will please owners with affected vehicles. I apologize for the frustrations this issue has caused owners, but I can assure you the fuel tank is designed to hold 8.7 gallons and it should not be overfilled.
How did I get 14.5 gallons in mine?

·
Registered
170 Posts
How did I get 14.5 gallons in mine?
Honestly, I don't know. The volumes of the fuel filler neck/other components that may fill with fuel are not measured or provided to me. I do kindly urge you not to continue overfilling past the 8.7 gallons listed in the owner's manual, and to stay tuned for a repair to your vehicle. We're closer than you think.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Honestly, I don't know. The volumes of the fuel filler neck/other components that may fill with fuel are not measured or provided to me. I do kindly urge you not to continue overfilling past the 8.7 gallons listed in the owner's manual, and to stay tuned for a repair to your vehicle. We're closer than you think.
How can we know when we have properly filled the tank? My 2016 is in the shop getting an oil change and smart of Oklahoma City is replacing the Fuel pump assembly which the technician said may correct the gas tank filling issue. I will let everyone know if it has any effect on the fuel tank issue.

Thanks to smartAPM for your being involved with this forum and putting up with posters such as myself.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The 2016 fuel gauge is different from the previous models.

On the previous models it would take away a bar from the meter when that gallon was used.

On the 2016 model it takes the bar away when it starts using that gallon.

So when the low fuel bar is flashing you have about 1 and a half gallons left (1 gallon plus the .3 gallon reserve).

·
Registered
79 Posts
The 2016 fuel gauge is different from the previous models.

On the previous models it would take away a bar from the meter when that gallon was used.

On the 2016 model it takes the bar away when it starts using that gallon.

So when the low fuel bar is flashing you have about 1 and a half gallons left (1 gallon plus the .3 gallon reserve).
But it can't even be filled completely. And you have more than that because I can run mine for a long distance on empty.

·
Registered
69 Posts
2016 Gas Gauge issue

My June 2015 build date Prime has the same problem. With one bar left I might get five gallons in. Melinda at Aristocrat says Mercedes hopes to have a fix in a couple of weeks. She has cars being held at the port because of this problem.

·
Registered
351 Posts
How can we know when we have properly filled the tank? My 2016 is in the shop getting an oil change and smart of Oklahoma City is replacing the Fuel pump assembly which the technician said may correct the gas tank filling issue. I will let everyone know if it has any effect on the fuel tank issue.

Thanks to smartAPM for your being involved with this forum and putting up with posters such as myself.
The dealer replaced the fuel delivery module and I have driven several hundred miles and filled the car up. I see no difference at all in the car, it is not the fix for the tank not filling properly or the fuel gage not reading accurately. I think too often the dealer throws parts at a problem hoping that it will correct and issue without properly diagnosing the problem, or the dealer tries to convince the customer that there is no problem and that is the way it works.

This same service visit I noted that the radio will not display the name of the song when using media. The tech noted the radio was working properly and I needed to add the name to the songs on the memory stick. If I had not used this media in my 2013 smart and it worked perfectly the tech might have convinced me he was correct but probably not.

·
Registered
451 Posts
And this perfectly illustrates why it can take a long time to come up with a fix, even if there is a lot of whining going on.

Sorry you still have an issue.

I think too often the dealer throws parts at a problem hoping that it will correct and issue without properly diagnosing the problem, or the dealer tries to convince the customer that there is no problem and that is the way it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lemon Law Solution

Hello,

I've had the gas gauge issue since I first bought my 2016 Smart. I have brought it into service 5 times over a year and the last time they replaced the entire gas tank. The car is still having issues of showing empty when there is still 2 or more gallons in the tank. I discovered that here in California you can contact a lemon lawyer and for no charge get your deposit and all monies paid back. You of course give up the car but for me the money I have put into a "broken" car over the last year and the deposit will pay for a new car or at least a sizable down payment. I recommend this course of action as it seems very obvious to me that Smart has no real idea what is wrong and has no idea how to fix it. It's to much of a stress never knowing exactly how much gas you have in your car and no one should have to deal with a car that doesn't work right from the moment you take it off the show room floor. I love the car and may even buy a new 2017 when the settlement comes in but would highly recommend anyone having this issue to check into this solution.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,708 Posts
I discovered that here in California you can contact a lemon lawyer and for no charge get your deposit and all monies paid back. You of course give up the car but for me the money I have put into a "broken" car over the last year and the deposit will pay for a new car or at least a sizable down payment.
Wookiekie - welcome to SCoA and your first post.

"the money I have put into a broken car" WHAT MONEY/DEPOSIT - this car is under warranty?

How long had you owned your 2016? And this "lemon to lemonade" process took how many days, weeks or months - just trying to connect the dots . . .

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I recommend this course of action as it seems very obvious to me that Smart has no real idea what is wrong and has no idea how to fix it. It's to much of a stress never knowing exactly how much gas you have in your car and no one should have to deal with a car that doesn't work right from the moment you take it off the show room floor.
... never knowing how much gas is in your car? So you're saying that when it says empty, you actually have 2 more gallons in the tank? Wow... here's a thought. Fuel gauge says empty? FILL IT UP! I could see this being a reasonable complaint if the situation was reversed... where your car was running out of gas and it hadn't even gotten to the "reserve" saying there was 1.3 gallons left.

Just sounds funny when you think about it. "Oh no, my fuel gauge says that my tank is empty but there could still be 2 gallons in it. What shall i do now?"

81 - 100 of 110 Posts