Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a big decision to make... do I go for manual or automatic on a 2016? I’ve enjoyed driving a manual though it was 10 years ago. Does anyone have preference for the way the car drives?

·
Super Moderator
17,613 Posts
I prefer manual in every car I can get it in. That said, I got the DCT with my 2016. Plenty zippy and it's nice not to have to row gears.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I wish I knew what I wanted! I loved my manual years ago (VW New Beetle) but am a little nervous about driving one again (can I still do it?). I really like the color and package selection on the automatics better though.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had to get rid of the stick before my deployment.... ...my wife couldn't drive a manual, so bye bye Bridgette!
20170705_160513.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you all really like the manual? Such a dilemma. I wanted manual but sunroof. I can either get manual without sunroof or DCT auto with sunroof! Not both...

·
Super Moderator
17,613 Posts
That was the same dilemma I faced. I LOVE manual cars, but manual smarts in the US usually have fewer options and colours. The best manual available when I got my 453 was brown and black with a gray interior and no options.

So I went with a loaded Edition #1. Haven't looked back. :)

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser

·
Registered
695 Posts
Our 453 manual is great but so is our 451’s automatic (we prefer to use the paddles or center shift to control the shifting duties) letting the computer decide is boring and lugs the motor . The new 453 auto sounds like a good option with the updated design . Honestly , I wouldn’t care which we had because they are fun either way .

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I looked at Smart cars, I was fairly certain I wanted the manual. I love the coordinated dance that comes from picking shift points, optimizing clutch release, downshifting and overall experience that comes with controlling the drive. However, on my first test drive, I was disappointed in the lack of engine braking from downshifts. In fact, is was nearly non-existent. This stands to reason as the little turbo three-cylinder is meant to make power through forced induction rather than engine compression. As a result, I gave the DCT automatic a shot and found it a reasonable compromise between sportiness and convenience. And I really loved the Proxy model for the cool interior and paddle shifters, so that cinched the deal. I'm glad I did as it's still a hoot to drive! Put it in sport mode though... no economy setting here. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
We got the DCT in ours, loads of fun. I wish we had the paddles now though. Would be more fun for me, for sure!

·
Registered
188 Posts
5-speed for us. I've been stirring the stick all my life, it just happens without even thinking.

I hear there are only 500 '16's with the manual trans in the US....

SubRosa

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Small cars, are best with manual transmissions. More fun to drive. I’ve owned lots of Honda’s with them. My Abarth, is a blast to drive. People are too busy texting on their phones, to learn how to use a stick. smart should have offer a manual transmission since it’s beginnings. If you can find a 453 with one, buy it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well I wanted a manual but ended up going with the auto. The only manual was orange and my little Prius C is orange. I still have orange accents and interior on this one but otherwise white passion package. I get it Saturday. So excited to have my first Smart!
No pictures of it?

·
Super Moderator
17,613 Posts
Yay, another Edition #1 owner! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a big decision to make... do I go for manual or automatic on a 2016? I’ve enjoyed driving a manual though it was 10 years ago. Does anyone have preference for the way the car drives?
All I can say is on the automatic, if the auto-clutch wears out they are very expensive to replace, and NOT covered by the warranty, its considered a wear and tear item like brake pads.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts