Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a big decision to make... do I go for manual or automatic on a 2016? I’ve enjoyed driving a manual though it was 10 years ago. Does anyone have preference for the way the car drives?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I wish I knew what I wanted! I loved my manual years ago (VW New Beetle) but am a little nervous about driving one again (can I still do it?). I really like the color and package selection on the automatics better though.

·
Super Moderator
17,862 Posts
That was the same dilemma I faced. I LOVE manual cars, but manual smarts in the US usually have fewer options and colours. The best manual available when I got my 453 was brown and black with a gray interior and no options.

So I went with a loaded Edition #1. Haven't looked back. :)

Reactions: Bob Ricewasser

·
Registered
746 Posts
Our 453 manual is great but so is our 451’s automatic (we prefer to use the paddles or center shift to control the shifting duties) letting the computer decide is boring and lugs the motor . The new 453 auto sounds like a good option with the updated design . Honestly , I wouldn’t care which we had because they are fun either way .

·
Registered
83 Posts
When I looked at Smart cars, I was fairly certain I wanted the manual. I love the coordinated dance that comes from picking shift points, optimizing clutch release, downshifting and overall experience that comes with controlling the drive. However, on my first test drive, I was disappointed in the lack of engine braking from downshifts. In fact, is was nearly non-existent. This stands to reason as the little turbo three-cylinder is meant to make power through forced induction rather than engine compression. As a result, I gave the DCT automatic a shot and found it a reasonable compromise between sportiness and convenience. And I really loved the Proxy model for the cool interior and paddle shifters, so that cinched the deal. I'm glad I did as it's still a hoot to drive! Put it in sport mode though... no economy setting here. :)

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Small cars, are best with manual transmissions. More fun to drive. I’ve owned lots of Honda’s with them. My Abarth, is a blast to drive. People are too busy texting on their phones, to learn how to use a stick. smart should have offer a manual transmission since it’s beginnings. If you can find a 453 with one, buy it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a big decision to make... do I go for manual or automatic on a 2016? I’ve enjoyed driving a manual though it was 10 years ago. Does anyone have preference for the way the car drives?
All I can say is on the automatic, if the auto-clutch wears out they are very expensive to replace, and NOT covered by the warranty, its considered a wear and tear item like brake pads.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.