Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently upgraded my 2013 Smart for the 2016 Passion. I love it so much--except I can't find a bike rack that is compatible. The official bike rack from the dealership is not compatible past 2015 and the Thule model I just bought (Raceway 2 Bike Trunk Rack)is not recommended do to the weight load.

Has anyone had any success loading a double bike rack to the new 2016s?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheaper option

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I'm not passionate enough about biking to spend that much installing a hitch to my lease.

I guess I'll hold out until Smart puts out an official rack like they did for the models up to 2015.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Back in the early days, 2008, I was faced with the same problem with the 451. I opted to purchase one from a vendor in Canada called Smart Universe. At the time the cost was over $600 for the hitch alone. For me it was worth it. For others it was worth the wait as they waited until curt offered one for a lot less. Still use the hitch mount on my smart. In fact almost daily.. Good luck but I'm sure if you wait a while a hitch at a reasonable price will be available sooner or later.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I must be lucky, I just ride my bike straight out of the house.

But I can fit my racing bike into the smart behind a seat with the top down.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks to all for these suggestions!

But what about the forthcoming 453 Cabriolet. A tow hitch is unappealing, both for the length it adds to the car and the expense. I *love* what I have for my 451 cab. But it won't work on the 453 cabriolet, and I'll need a new solution when my order arrives (probably not for some time.) Fortunately, I don't travel much to ride in the winter, and won't need it until spring. But when people hear of affordable options, please let me know.

I'll offer mine (the altered Thule rack) for sale when I turn in my (leased) 451.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you ever find a bike rack or hitch? Just bought my 2016 last week to replace my 2009. Don't think I would have bought it if I'd known there wasn't a bike rack available!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello:

I just purchased my 2017 Cabriolet. I was wondering if you resolved the bike rack/hitch issue. I need to be able to carry my bike around with me.

Thank you,
Jamie

1 - 15 of 15 Posts