Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, anybody knows why the 453 Pure model does not start after the accident/airbag deployment ? the battery is fine, the starter sounds fine, but there is no crank. It was a minor front end collision, so the engine area haven't suffered any damage, there is no battery safety disconnect terminal like the BMW cars have (at least anywhere near the battery). I know the fastest way to diagnose/fix this issue would be to replace the airbags and take it to the dealer, but the problem is that there is no passenger side Roof Airbag availability not even in Germany at the moment. Any ideas ? :shrug:

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
could be something that needs to be reset after the accident, maybe shutting off the fuel pump to keep it from spilling gas after an accident. Probably a dealer item I'd guess

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,675 Posts
not much, to bring the car in, but i don't want them to replace the airbags, it would cost thousands.
Can't put a price on your life or those who might ride with you?

A smart fortwo with NO AIRBAGS - not the Lottery I'd want to play! :badidea:

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
The only suggestions I'm getting is to bring the vehicle in to a smart service center. There's no magic "ah ha" answer to your question. I'm suspecting a fuel delivery related item is preventing fuel flow. But I haven't found anything absolutely conclusive yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
MB DNA, let me rephrase that: "I don't want them replacing the Airbags", I'm replacing them myself, buying brand new airbags from the dealer but with a good business discount. the only thing is preventing me from taking the car to the dealer(with all airbags replaced) is missing Roof Airbag, which again, not available for ordering even from Germany, there is no back order, it comes up as not available when MB/Smart parts department tries to order it

·
Registered
42 Posts
The computer has been flagged at accident. The system has been demobilized when the airbags were deployed. Replace the CPU and you might be able to cheat the airbags to test.
This car was designed not to operate after a major collision. Any defect in the structure will compromise the safety cage. If your planning to use the "Parts" for a kit car, then I would suspect the CPU would need a complete wipe and re-set. If you can find the codes. or ebay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
MB DNA, let me rephrase that: "I don't want them replacing the Airbags", I'm replacing them myself, buying brand new airbags from the dealer but with a good business discount. the only thing is preventing me from taking the car to the dealer(with all airbags replaced) is missing Roof Airbag, which again, not available for ordering even from Germany, there is no back order, it comes up as not available when MB/Smart parts department tries to order it
Hello, can you starter your smart?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys, anybody knows why the 453 Pure model does not start after the accident/airbag deployment ? the battery is fine, the starter sounds fine, but there is no crank. It was a minor front end collision, so the engine area haven't suffered any damage, there is no battery safety disconnect terminal like the BMW cars have (at least anywhere near the battery). I know the fastest way to diagnose/fix this issue would be to replace the airbags and take it to the dealer, but the problem is that there is no passenger side Roof Airbag availability not even in Germany at the moment. Any ideas ? 🤷
Hi, I have a same issue. Did you find a solision? Let me know please.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys same problem, i leave my smat to my electric guy, he should to check it tomorrow,
I will let you know soon.
Question anybody know or have a pictures of connectors on wheel airbag?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts