Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2016 smart car and would like to find a battery maintainer for use when when the car sits for an extended period of time.

Can anyone recommend a suitable product?

Thank you,
Chris.

·
Super Moderator
28,978 Posts
Any battery maintainer will do; Battery Tender brand is pretty popular.

And welcome to SCoA! :)

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Curious, has your "charge battery" warning light turned on? It is a new light that will normally come on to warn you about charging your battery. It's generally harmless, just an early warning to actually use the car so you can charge the battery. Once you hit the road for about 15 to 30 minutes it'll go away.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,564 Posts
Welcome from Florida!! I have been using her DelTran Battery Tender brand for a number of years with excellent results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curious, has your "charge battery" warning light turned on? It is a new light that will normally come on to warn you about charging your battery. It's generally harmless, just an early warning to actually use the car so you can charge the battery. Once you hit the road for about 15 to 30 minutes it'll go away.
Hello Mister_smart_LA!,

When I first test drove the car at the dealership it hadn't been run that much and I did notice the low battery warning come on but after a short test drive it never came back on again.
The battery must gave received a decent charge by then.

Cheers,
Chris.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome from Florida!! I have been using her DelTran Battery Tender brand for a number of years with excellent results.
Hello Z06-Lite,

Thank you for your Welcome message!
Thank you for the info on the DelTran Battery Tender. I will check that one out.

Cheerio for now,
Chris.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Z06-Lite,

Would you mind giving me the model number of that DelTran Battery Tender that you have been using. They have a number of different units on their website.

Thank you,
Chris.

·
3,564 Posts
I use the Battery Tender Plus 12V.1.25amp. I have used the smaller ones over the years, but the Plus has never left me with a flat battery even in modern cars with all the electronic stuff that is hard on a battery in a stored car. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use the Battery Tender Plus 12V.1.25amp. I have used the smaller ones over the years, but the Plus has never left me with a flat battery even in modern cars with all the electronic stuff that is hard on a battery in a stored car. Good luck with your purchase.
Thank you. I will try that one.

Chris.

·
3,564 Posts
With the Battery Tender brand, there is no need to do any trimming. It comes with two sets of leads. One with alligator clips and one with round terminal ends to slip over the battery posts. Both offer the quick disconnect feature.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the Battery Tender brand, there is no need to do any trimming. It comes with two sets of leads. One with alligator clips and one with round terminal ends to slip over the battery posts. Both offer the quick disconnect feature.
Hi Z06-LITE,

Right. I think mattwithcats was referring to clipping one side of the ring terminal so that it could be slipped in under the nut without having to take the nut all of the way off the bolt. But even taking the nut off and placing the unclipped ring terminal over the bolt is quick.

As a matter of interest I just worked out how to get the battery out of the front of a 2016 smart four two and that was quite the production! But once you've done it once it gets easier!

I'm storing the car in a location where there is no AC power so I have to remove the battery to put it on a battery tender, which is a hassle but necessary.

Thank you for your reply.

Cheers,
Chris.

·
3,564 Posts
When you install the ring on the terminal and tighten down the nut, you are finished with a wrench. The lead stays on the battery until you have to replace the battery. The lead is several feet long so you can route it through the grill or wherever you want to place it. Then you slip a male end into the female end and that lead runs to the Tender on your work bench or wherever you decide to keep it. If you are neat about the installation, no one will even see where the cable comes through the grill. You may want to secure it with a tie wrap. Both ends that you connect on the quick release have a plastic cover on them to keep debris and moisture out when you are driving the car. If this is confusing, go to the DelTran site to see many photos of what I am not doing a very good job of explaining. good luck, George Oller.

·
3,564 Posts
I just re-read you post and see that you will be removing the battery from the car to keep charged in another location. I guess my comment will not be of much use, sorry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just re-read you post and see that you will be removing the battery from the car to keep charged in another location. I guess my comment will not be of much use, sorry.
Yes, your description sounds like a very clean way of doing the installation. Dress the wires in and keep them there.
I wish I could keep the battery in the car, but not possible at the moment.

Cheers,
Chris.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is SOLAR an option ?
021-1163
Hi CROCK 42,

That's a great suggestion! However in this case I'm storing the car in one of those large multiple unit storage facilities and I think its more of a liability issue. They don't want you drilling a small hole or slipping a wire out on to the roof. It's more of an issue around what if a fire started and caused damage to the whole facility.

Actually I'm an electrical contractor and I install grid-tied and off-grid solar system on a residential level, and I even thought of putting a large Trojan L16 battery in the storage unit which would run a battery tender unit, but I'm not sure how it would last.

Reliant L16-AGM | Trojan Battery Company

I think I'm just stuck with having to take the battery out of the car when I leave it there.

Cheerio for now,
Chris.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have run my battery down---watching DVD movies, I have a Die-Hard jumper box and it started the smart no problem.
The jumper box will start my truck - V8 400ci 1977 when battery is DEAD.
How long will you park the smart car? I just don't like resetting everything after removing a battery :-(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts